Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Nausea and Shingles
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have been having severe bouts of nausea both before my shingles appeared and now even after they are disappearing. I was OK when on the antiviral med but it has been coming and going ever since. This is the third week since the shingles appeared and I have some days without any nausea and some days, it never goes away. Is this something that anyone else has experienced? Could it be a continuing symptom of the shingles or should I be checking out other things? I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem, and if it evenutally went away or can it be chronic.
Thanks
T.
Posted on 05/17/07, 01:54 pm
14 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Shingles. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/18/07  9:35am
" I had nausea when I had active shingles and also with PHN but I attributed it to other causes (e.g., stomach flu). Intereting. Have you tried anti-nauseant drugs like Gravol? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/18/07  6:13pm
" Hi,
Yes, I am keeping the gravol manufacturers in business these days. My shingles have disappeared and I am still having some PHN so not sure if it is from that or not as I had the nausea for a long time before the shingles came out. I am baffled and still getting it almost every day...all day! It's really discouraging and I just wish I could get back to normal. Thanks for the response and hope you are doing OK.
Thanks
T. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/18/07  9:20pm
" Hi torontocana, Has your doctor ensured that there is not another cause of the nausea? I find the whole thing with PHN is that it is such a slow healing process. Some days I feel okay and other days I feel like I am back to square one, with a lot of pain and fatigue. I don't which is worse, the pain or the fatigue. Before I got shingles I heard it was very painful but I had no idea how bad it was and how debilitating the fatigue is until I actually got it myself. Then the PHN. Some days the pain is so severe and nothing seems to help so I just have to ride it out. But it is more than pain. The affected area is C3-4-5, on my right and my neck, shoulder and arm have decreased sensation and numbness which feels like it will never get better. That is why I was happy to find Daily Strength as I need to connect with others who have experienced this and to gain support and strength in this way. BTW, I live in Canada too -- Winnipeg. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/19/07  7:27am
" Hi T. The 1st week I lost 10 pounds because of loss of appetite. I was starting to worry but it gradually returned. I am "scabbed" and have returned to my part-time job but I am still very tired and have to have a nap when I get home. I am also on the edge of being grumpy all the time because I'm tired and still have pain and I have to consciously work at being my "normal nice self." "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/20/07  10:22pm
" I can't say I had nausea, but I did NOT have any desire to eat at all. I didn't feel "turned off" by food, I just had no desire for it. I didn't eat a whole lot. Perhaps if I had, I would have been nauseated, I dunno. I did force myself to stay hydrated tho, I drank water all day long. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 07/21/07  4:50am
" my father had nausea though he had the staph infection,....but that aside...the shingles can cause a shock to the body and the pain can cause nausea....and see its the trauma the body suffered and its now probably mental, see now your mind is still teling you you're ill, and just the general shock and trauma from it al. see your doc and see what he says...then maybe try some cognitive behavioural therapy or something? because its probably the subconcious mental side of things:)
good luck:) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 07/21/07  11:06am
" Well, for me it was more an absence of a desire to eat. I just was not interested in food. I did maintain my fluid intake and I did eat, but some days it was just toast or something really bland like macaroni & cheese. Normally I like my food very spicy (e.g, tandoori and vindaloo style). But during the most acute phase of the shingles I just had no interest in these foods. No appetite, no energy. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 07/21/07  10:29pm
" I was so sick for a week before I broke out that I had to keep the trash can next to me at work, thankfully I never had to use it. I still feel nausea some days, I l haven't returned to work due to the exhaustion. My shingles started May 15, I did have a severe case, but I am still sleeping 12 to 14 hours a day!
It is reassuring to know that I am not the only one.
genAtlanta "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 07/22/07  12:47pm
" Hi folks with shingles
I too just had a second yet very mild (compared to the first out break) out break in shingles and again I used my mixture of organic apple cider vinegar mixed up with water in a spray bottle. It works folks and the cost is very affordable. The second attack only lasted a few days because I recognized the syptoms right away. I use approximately 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar to 1 cup of water. I spray my body about 4-5 times a day. It relieves the pain and the itching within mins.
Take care to all
Debbie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 07/23/07  3:50am
" Hi, Yes I had nausea. This is my 7th week now, I am not nauseais now and am feeling more like eating.I am taking a tblspn of cold pressed olive oil every day. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web