Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Getting a Tattoo after Shingles?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I'm in my second week of Shingles, and my 18th birthday is on the 25th of August. My mom agreed to help pay for a tattoo that I've wanted for a long time on my upper back. Just to clarify, I do realize that getting a tattoo when I still have the Shingles is a stupid idea. I wasn't planning on it, and a lot of tattoo artists won't even do anything if you have any sign of a rash. I was planning on getting it a couple of weeks after my blisters are all healed up. My shingles are on my left hip and my lower back. I was wondering how long would be safe to wait after Shingles to get the tattoo, and when I would know that Shingles is safely out of my system. Has anyone else tried to get a tattoo after Shingles? (I know I'm really young to get Shingles, and there aren't too many sixty-year-olds getting a tattoo.) Also, I have never had any skin problems with my upper back. Would that somehow irritate where my shingles were, even though it's not in the same area?
Posted on 08/12/11, 02:30 pm
3 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Shingles. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/12/11  4:36pm
" I would ask your doctor these questions. I don't know the reason, but I do know having a tattoo can actually make some medical conditions worse, and even put you at risk for some medical conditions. You might want to check this out...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ta... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/12/11  4:49pm
" Thanks for the link, Julia. It makes me feel a lot better about it; especially since my tattoo contains no red ink. The place I'm checking out is clean, and I've already taken any other precaution I can think of. I'm going to ask the tattoo place to place three small dots under my skin to see what would happen. I hope that would help. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/04/12  3:56am
" Do you REALLY need the tattoo? Lovely clear skin is so much prettier..........But it is obviously up to you! Be well soon ! "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web