How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Oral stim - thumb/finger sucking, etc...
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have SID. I sucked my thumb until I was 11 years old, and as a result I had braces for 5 years. I also sucked/chewed on drawstrings of hoodies I would wear.

My son has SID. He chews off pencil erasers. He used to chew plastic toys when he was younger. He bites his nails and chews the sides of his fingers.

My daughter still sucks her fingers. She is 3. I don't see much in the way sensory processing issues with her, yet.

Anybody else?
Posted on 04/09/07, 03:55 pm
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Sensory Integration Disorder. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/10/07  3:48pm
" My 5 year old daughter sucks her thumb and chews on her clothes and chews on other things too. My 2 year old sucks her fingers, but at this point don't believe she has any sesnory issues. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/20/07  3:56am
" I'll be honest I used to suck my thumb and cords/drawstrings on coats and that, and to some extent still do(the drawstings thing) its peculiar, I don't know WHY I do it, but I do. Maybe its a comfort thing, or security thing, or maybe its from boredom. Can't suck your thumb if you have a game console contol pad in your hands.

Riddles "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/29/07  1:16pm
" My 5 year old needs pacifiers to get calmed down enough to fall asleep. We know this is going to lead to a lot of bills for her teeth in the future, but her health and sanity is worth the expense down the road. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/30/07  7:07am
" MY ALMOST 2 YEAR OLD CHEWS ON EVERYTHING. SHE WILL EVEN CHEW HER FINGER RAW. WE GOT HER SOME CHEWY TUBES AND WHEN WE NOTICE HER CHEWING WE WILL GIVE HER A CHEWY TUBE. NOW THAT SHE IS TALKING A LITTLE BIT SOMTIMES SHE WILL ASK FOR IT. WE ALSO USE TOOTH BRUSHES. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/29/07  11:09pm
" Try using Z-vibes and tips...they are great for that oral stimulation.

Kris "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/10/07  11:49am
" Nick chews on anything he can get his hands on - I have 2 different chew toys from his OT that I try to give him when I see this, he also sucks/chews on his fingers, soemtimes his sleeve, toys, he licks chairs and other things like that. And he puts everything he finds in his mouth - he only swallows food - but loves to find things and roll them around in his mouth - until he gets caught! He prefers pebble sized objects but will take almost anything! Then he'll give them up - not always willingly but it's getting better! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/21/07  2:39am
" yep, my son does it as well. i monitor it, but I no longer prevent him from doing this. it seems to help keep him grounded in some weird way... unless it is dangerous, like the time I picked him up from school and he had a broken peice of tile in his mouth... AAhhh! "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web