Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
anyways to stop cutting?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
ive been cutting for about 5 years now and nothing has worked for me.. anything youve tred that worked or some what worked?
Posted on 12/28/12, 08:29 pm
9 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Self-Injury. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/28/12  8:44pm
" Distraction helps me or writing. Sometimes I draw where I want to cut but distraction works best. Getting up and leaving the room you are in while having the thoughts or going outside. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/28/12  10:54pm
" I have a small handful of friends that help keep my mind off of things. When they discovered my nasty habit, they always told me to call them when I feel like cutting. I had to explain to them that I never wanted to call. Once, I hit that point I don't want someone to interfere with my plans to self-harm. But, I've realized if I catch myself earlier in the day feeling like a grouch, I never give myself the chance to be alone. I do anything to surround myself with energetic people. It's the only thing that has helped me not do it for the past month. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/30/12  7:35pm
" honestly, a good therapist, some anti depressants and alot of things to keep me busy so im rarely alone and have the opportunity to cut "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/30/12  9:21pm
" To keep my mind off of cutting, I read a book, listen to music, or watch tv. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/30/12  10:24pm
" It's been three year since I cut. I just reached that point when I realized I had to stop doing this to myself because it was wrecking my self esteem. I took things one day at a time, I would chart how many days I kept from ctting and then if I did I would say to myself (once I calmed down) no need to be hard on yourself, this is tough you did well to go that far now try to get it longer next time.

Writting did also help. It got rid of my emotions in a healthier way and let me be somewhere other than where I was. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/31/12  5:18am
" Honestly, the only thing that's ever worked for me is distraction. I made it a month by cleaning/drawing/writing/reading/etc... whenever I wanted to cut. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/31/12  11:43am
" For me, putting ice cubes on the part I want to cut usually takes the urge away for a few hours. I also try to keep my hands busy, I've been making tons of friendship bracelets which also distracts... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/06/13  12:54am
" Also, being around people helps a lot, because it forces you not to cut. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/06/13  2:28am
" I am a "recovering cutter". I have struggled with it since I was 13 and now I struggle with it being 26. I didn't start to work on quitting til I was 19. It isn't easy. You have to really want to quit. And constantly distract yourself. It took years of therapy and numerous medications to get me where I'm at now. (Med free, too! :) ) try the ice method too, which was mentioned. I have made a rule to not keep any razors blades in the house. And if I break down and buy some. By the time I get home I feel guilty and give them to someone so they can dispose of them. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web