Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
I think I cut into a vein...
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
On my left arm, near the place where blood is drawn, I cut vertically down my arm. There is a cut about 4 inches long, and it is gaping open bs bring the thin lines I typically see. It's about 1/8 of an inch deep and steadily bleeding. What did I do?!?
Posted on 09/28/10, 01:35 am
3 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Self-Injury. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/28/10  2:09am
" Apply pressure! The good news is, if the blood is flowing steadily and consistently, then it is most likely only a vein you hit. If the blood flows in gushes, in pulses that are in harmony with your heartbeat, then it is an artery and you should seek medical attention immediately.
Still, if the bleeding cannot be controlled, tell someone.
I know it can be scary, I've done it myself a number of times..
Once you are okay physically, its a good time to reflect and think about why you cut where you did and why the depth. Sometimes a scare like that is just the thing to help us ease up on SI a little bit.

My advice is to do some research on your body. See maps of where the major veins and arteries are in your body so you know where to avoid them.
Stopping SI seldom happens overnight, but at least this way you can be a little safer until you get there.
Goodluck.
xoxo "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/28/10  2:18am
" It hasn't stopped and the urge to do more damage is there, so I'm grabbing my mom. She is so supportive and I love her dearly.
This will sound so strange, but I wasn't scared of the actual injury, but I was frustrated that I didn't know a vein was there. I'm usually extremely cautious about things like that.
Thanks for the advice (:

And btw, I love your picture...it's my favorite garden flower (: maybe that's why it's in my pic too haha "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/28/10  2:25am
" Good idea! I hope everything gets settled and the urge lessens.

Yeah, I getcha. Unfortunately, they're all over the place.. :/

Oh thank you! One of my good friends took it. I LOVE sunflowers. I actually have a sunflower tattoo on my shoulder. ^_^ "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web