How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear

Scoliosis Information

• Scoliosis affects all ages: infants, children, adolescents, and adults. About 80% of scoliosis cases are called adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS). Idiopathic means the "cause is unknown". Girls are 4 times more likely than boys to develop scoliosis. Most scoliosis develops between the ages of 10 and 16. The disorder runs in families and usually is painless in young people...
  • Unlike the naturally occurring curves in the spine, scoliosis causes the spine to curve abnormally to the left or right. Other physical signs of scoliosis include: uneven shoulders or waistline, leaning slightly to one side, shoulder blade prominence, or a rib hump on one side of the back (visible when the person is in the "dive" position).

There are several known causes of scoliosis, including abnormalities at birth in the vertebral bodies (i.e. blocks of bone in the spine), neuromuscular disorders (e.g. cerebral palsy), Marfan's syndrome, spinal injuries in a growing spine, and degenerative changes in adult spines.

Early scoliosis detection is key to help control curve progression and prevent spinal deformity. Many scoliosis patients only need non-operative treatments, such as bracing. Patients with more severe and progressing curves may require surgery. Surgical treatment of scoliosis has advanced dramatically since the early 1960s. Today patients can experience greater curve corrections and shorter recovery times.

View Top Scoliosis Answers at sharecare.com

Health Blogs

The role of bracing in people with adolescent idiopathic (as in, we don’t know why it happens) scoliosis who are at risk for curve progression is controversial. When the curve of scoliosis reaches 50 degrees, surgery is recommended. So the question is: can bracing put off the progression enough to avoid surgery? A recent study published in the ... Read More »
Recently, I received a question from a DailyStrength member wondering how she missed her son’s scoliosis. And while it is human nature to look back and determine where we have erred, what I’d rather do here is share a few important points about scoliosis in children, including some of the more common treatment measures this member’s son may ... Read More »

1) Do I need an annual physical?

As many of you know Medicare does NOT cover annual physicals... so the question is do you really need one?

For females over 40 you need to come in for an annual mammogram, and either a once a year or every three years (in low- risk folks) Pap ... Read More »

Member Photos

Advertisement

Latest Activity