Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Gabapentin
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Is anyone else on gabapentin? If so, how does it work? How are the side affects? Are you having side affects?
I can't tell if I am or not...
Posted on 05/06/09, 10:52 pm
17 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Sciatica. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/07/09  12:39am
" Hi

I have been on Gabapentin, 800 mg. three times a day for several months. It does help with the sciatica pain that goes down my hip and leg. No side effects.

Donna "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/07/09  6:57pm
" I have being it for about 10 years now and works well for me.
Their are side effects, go to rateadrug.com and it will list all the side effects. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/17/14  3:16am
" I just started taking Gabapentin 2 days ago. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones,it started working within hours of my first use. It doesn't relieve all the pain but it does relieve enough to enjoy life again, I got my first full night sleep last night that I haven't had in months, I haven't noticed any side effects yet but its to soon to tell. I'll let you know when I do "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/27/14  8:09pm
" Hello all,

The first time I tried Gabapentin (prescribed by my back surgeon), I started stumbling like a drunk sailor after only the first 800 mg pill! I stopped it right away.

My PCP said my prior ataxia condition is made worse by Gabapentin. He asked that I try to start with 1-100 mg capsule/day and give my body time to adjust, and slowly work up to the dosage that stops the pain. I'm up to 100 mg taken three time daily. The pain hasn't been reduced significantly but I definitely have unsteady walking since starting Jan. 7, 2014. I'll keep trying as I can tolerate more. Meanwhile, I'm still taking 2-tablets of OTC strength Naproxen Sodium twice daily for partial pain relief.

I'm glad to see that some of you can go "all in" with success...............kentm "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/31/14  1:49pm
" Hello TheTruthO (??),

The following WebMD link has the side effects of gabapentin:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-821...

Like all drugs, the listed side effects include the myriad of side effects reported during drug trials. Some experience NONE of those listed and others, like me, experience one or more of the more troublesome effects, which I describe as stumbling like a drunk! My earlier post goes into more detail about how I'm trying to cope. Bottom line - one must decide if the pain relief is worth the side effects.................Kent "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/01/14  11:00am
" Bad side effects, My Dr. had me try Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg, I couldn't stay awake..would sleep for 30 minutes wake up, fall back asleep repeatedly, very drowsy.
So then he tried Metaxalone 800 mg..I think this was a sugar pill..did nothing for me.
Think I should give Gabapentin a try? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/02/14  3:46am
" I am on tramadol. and klonopin. and using endep

I am wondering about trying lyrica or gabapentin

nothing makes me sleepy

but endep with tramadol. does .. but not all night.

as u take gabapentin during the day I guess it doesn't make you sleepy.

yeah different people have different side effects. no point in looking. but seeing if it affects you

I notice cold water. and cold air. aggravates my nerve pain in leg. in the calf. it is hot in Australia and I have been having a cold spa.
and cannot turn electric blanket on.
and heat bags are making me too hot.. but still have to start the day with one

mum of 4. in Australia "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/02/14  11:27pm
" GABAPENTIN 100 MGS = NO SIDE EFFECTS.I ALSO USE TRAMADOL 375 MGS. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/09/14  7:57am
" Been on Gabapentin n oxycodone for about 8 yrs for discs in my neck. Fell in November n siatica hit me hard . I increased gabapentin from 200 a day to 900 n oxycodone at 30mg a day..Still hard to function going to ask doctor to increase gabapentin . Waking every morning to this kind of pain is horrible. Takes hours to get in function mode. I do walk about 10 miles a day n try to bike as well. I don't know of any side effects from either drug on my part. Good luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 02/25/14  6:40pm
" hello everyone I am starting gabapentin tonight for the first time....I am just glad that they have finally agreed to give it to me....my sciatic nerve has been a mess for four years .....I've done it all and finally had to threaten to report my nurse practioner to the nursing board ...I was in her office within 10min with an apologie from her...I really don't like being like this but I can no longer take this pain.....I hope it works for me because right now I have no life at all.....it is bad when your 6 year old grand daughter says"quit your whining granny you'll be fine" sheesh I love that kid LOL

Brightest Blessings everyone "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web