Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Lidoderm patch
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Please forgive me if this topic has already been covered. Has anyone used the Lidoderm patch 4 sciatica, & if so, where did you place the patch, how many did you use, & did it help?
Thank you!
C.M.
Posted on 09/28/08, 10:54 am
9 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Sciatica. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/30/08  6:54am
" Hi ~ Yes, I use the Lidoderm patch. Where I put the patch depends on where I hurt the most in that particular day. My lower spine is the culprit, so sometimes I put it VERY low on the back, and other times I put it in the small of my back, because I have a herniation there too, and it radiates. I have put it on the hip when that becomes very painful due to sciatica but it doesn't seem to work very well there.

I'm only allowed one patch 12 hours ON and 12 hours OFF. I'm not allowed to use more than one. So whatever your doctor prescribed is what you can do.

The patch does help BUT there have been days when NOTHING has helped! I have found that the longer I used it, the less effective it became, so i've tried to not use it so much and save it for times when I'm REALLY in horrible pain. I've been dealing with this for 21 years, so guess I've gotten used to being in pain. The patch was VERY effective when I first got them! Hope they work well for you! Best of luck & God bless. Hugs, Lee "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/30/08  1:27pm
" Thanks, Lee. I've been using the patch--it makes my skin numb, but doesn't help the sciatica. Sigh. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/13/08  12:50am
" Hi, Crowmother -
Haven't heard from you in a while - sorry to hear you're still dealing with that @#%& sciatica!

Have either of your drs ever mentioned using a neurostimulator? I know it's helped some people but it replaces the pain with a tingling feeling and some people can't adjust. Just wondering if you've tried this? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/13/08  2:39pm
" Hi, Crazylegs, thank you for asking. Yes, I tried a T.E.N.S. unit a couple of different times when the sciatica first began, about 8 years ago. I really wanted it to work, but it didn't.

I saw the physiatrist last week, & we're trying baclofen in a transdermal form. The nurse said I should give this med a month's trial. I asked the doc what I could do for the breakthrough pain. Her answer was, "there really isn't anything" she felt comfortable giving me, b/c I "was already on so much neurontin."

Yes, I'm on a high dose, 3,900 mg. a day. During our visit I asked if she would be willing to increase the neurontin. I've had excellent results w/this med., no troublesome sided effects. The only thing is I've had to titrate the dose every so often (over the past 8 years). She told me I was over the limit already. I told her I'd heard they go up to 4,800mg. a day for epilepsy. She refered me to a neurologist, saying I could ask him if he'd go higher on the neurontin. Of course I agreed to see him, but I don't have high hopes. I know there are other anticonvulsants I could try, so perhaps if he won't increase the neurontin, he'll be willing to try something else. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/04/08  2:02pm
" I use them now, and they seem to help, but they numb the areas where used, and after a few hours, it can get somewhat annoying, to say the least.

You can;t use more than three pads at any one 12-hour period. You have to go into NON USE for 12 hours, meaning you can go 24 hrs. I cut strips: One to band my ankle where the pain hits hardest, another small one on my calf, and one on my right buttock and right thigh. That works, but when it wears off, the pain makes up for lost time. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/04/08  5:16pm
" Hi Pain247, I'm glad they help you, even if only temporarily.

I went back on the etodolac--so far it's helping. But I know it will lose its effectiveness after a while.

It's my most sincere prayer that something will come along (soon!) that will free us all from this pain. There are some new therapies "in the pipeline," as one researcher told me; one is in clinical trials right now. If I hear anything, I will certainly pass it along. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/05/08  8:34am
" Wearing one full patch cut three ways: Ankle, Calf, hip. I had an Epidural yesterday. The patches are a better bet. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 12/21/08  10:10am
" Yes, I use them mainly on my worse problem, cervical and right shoulder , trigger point , neuropathy , I have one very bad area. Try it on the worst point you have.
My mom also has them, and I apply them to the most painful area on the right hip cause her sciatica goes down from the right hip. She say it does help.
My neuro doc said I could use 2 at a time, but my moms doc said she can use one for 12 hours daily. ??? So check with the doc, and the packaging also has info.
I see my friend leeall is also here! good morning to all! xoxoxo deeee "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 12/21/08  3:09pm
" thanks, everyone, for all your comments. I'm glad some of you get pain relief from the patch, but I finally gave up on it after a 2 mo. trial. It made my skin numb, but didn't touch the severe nerve pain.
The company that makes the patch refunded my money, & also replaced the box for the pharmacy--really decent of them. Most pharma companies wouldn't have been that generous. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web