Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Best mattresses for sciatica?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I was diagnosed w/sciatica in my right leg recently and only have sciatica when I get out of bed in the AM - it takes about 30-60 mins to "walk it out", then I only have intermittent "twinges" in my lower calf thru the day. I went on vacation and slept in a firm bed for 2 weeks - by the 4th morning, I was pain-free until I got home and got back into my "heavenly bed" (Simmons Beautyrest) which I paid a fortune for just a year ago. My Dr. has determined that the bed is a contributing factor but wanted me to go thru physical therapy anyway....$800 later with no improvements from therapy, I think I just need to get a new bed! Prior to my present bed, I owned a tempurpedic for 9 yrs and it was great until I started tossing & turning at night, so I thought I needed a softer bed...turns out I need a firmer bed (according to the therapist).
Sooooo...any ideas? I was looking at the latex beds on Habitat Furnishings (they have a 180 day warranty)but also their airbed might work where you can adjust the firmness (like a sleep number)? I'm so leery of making another poor choice so was hoping this forum might help...thanks in advance!
Posted on 06/05/08, 05:15 pm
3 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Sciatica. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/04/08  10:16am
" I had an air mattress (select comfort) until recently. It is now my son's. It is pretty good, but the side foam railing inside poof out. It made the bed lopsided. I have an adjustable foundation and that could have made it worse going up and down. If you buy an air mattress make sure you question them about the foam rails and unzip the bed and look inside. Make them show you. I don't think they help side sleepers. They are better for back sleepers.

I'm now on a temperpedic foam mattress. Not sure about it yet. It seems better because it feels hard but gives where your pressure points are. Since I love soft beds, I have yet to find a mattress I like.

I had a water bed with a heater that was great. Getting in and out of it was impossible. The hard sided water beds are not as good. Didn't like that at all.

Hope this helps. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/07/08  3:37pm
" Sith all my back trama 5 surgeries and 3 fusions, last one being feb 11th. We need to buy a bed so I would love to find out the answer to that question! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/07/08  8:48pm
" OK - I bought a bed after MUCH research and decided on the SAT Bed - you can read about it at www.satbed.com. It is used in hospitals and clinics and is designed for spinal injuries, etc. The price is right (cheaper than the sleep number beds and tempurpedic beds). I've been sleeping on it for 2 weeks and now I wake up PAIN FREE!!!! Is my sciatica gone? Probably not, but as long as I sleep and sit on firm furniture, I have no pain. The company offers other beds (air beds and foam, etc) but I got the actual SAT Bed. You can call and talk with a consultant about your symptoms and they were VERY helpful in determining which bed was right for me.

Hopefully I won't be back!!! And God Bless to all!! "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web