How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Sciatica pain? What kind of doctor to see?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi! I am new to the group. I am a 32 y/o female, I have 2 herniated disks (L-5, S-1), and fibromyalgia. Last week I have laproscopic surgery for appendicitis and a ruptured ovarian cyst. Before the surgery I had a pain at my panty line on the right side and the back of my thigh on the right side ached like I pulled a muscle, but I don't believe that is possible as I had not been physically active for 2 weeks prior to the surgery due to not feeling well. When I woke up from the surgery the incision pain was bothering me the most, but after 2 days I started to experience the same pain in my right panty line and back of my right thigh. Along with that pain I also have pain in my right buttock and behind my right knee. Could this be sciatica or something else? I was seeing a pain management doc for the fibro and herniated disks but have decided to stop going there as the docs seem to treat me as though this is all psychological because I also suffer from PTSD. I am going back to a rheumatologist I saw prior to going to this pain management place on Friday, but I am not sure if she will be able to treat this type of pain, if not what type of doctor can I go see about this problem? There are no other pain management docs in my area. Also when I was going to pain management they did a test (can't remember the name) but they told me I had 6 pinched nerves. I have had a nerve pain down my leg before, but usually on the outside of the leg, this is the first time I have had a nerve pain at my panty line, has anyone else ever experienced this?
Posted on 11/09/10, 11:31 am
4 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Sciatica. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/09/10  11:35pm
" HI
Wow - you sure have a lot of pain in the butt !
Let me try to help you understand some of this -

You can have fibro and sciatica.
According to a few other friends who have both - the sciatica pain can be and is usually somewhat worse than the fibro pain. But they are both real problems that need to be addressed.

You need a good doctor for each - a rheumy may be best for the fibro - not sure about that one.

For the sciatica you need a good orthopedic doctor and a good pain management doctor. You family doctor can also be a big help.

You need good MRI's of the situation to insur you are getting the treatments you need..

Amny of the surgeries for the sciatica can make the problem worse and often do - so be very careful about getting any surgery.

Physical therapy can be a big help for the sciatica. It can actually roll back some of the problems. Not always.

A good shot of cortisone in the butt can help a lot of the problems. It is referred to as a cortisone depot.

The pain down the butt and down the back of the leg and the back of the knee - is called piraforma syndrome. It is sorta a type of sciatica. It is when the nerve leaves the spine and splits and goes down the legs. The nerve passes over the piraformamuscle and it can irritate the nerve . The best approach for that is the stretches for the piraforma muscle. The very best of those stretches is called the belly tuck (ot sometimes the tummy tuck). Google it. Or go to Physical therapy for it - and for core strength stretches. They are very important. The tummy tuck can help you almost immediately and I personally find it a God send.

Hugs, Raoul "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/10/10  7:19am
" Hi ~ I hate to disagree with Raoul, but I'm going to. LOL. I would suggest going BACK to pain management - whether it's the same doctor or another - and try to get some relief for this awful sciatica. I've had it for 25 years and it's so painful!! Mine is permament, but yours need not be. Most often sciatica can be relieved with physical therapy, gentle exercises, and proper pain meds. If your current pain doc thinks it's in your head, GET RID OF HIM. He's a jerk. I've been to many docs like that who just don't believe us.

They may try to push epidural steroid injections on you, but they rarely work for sciatica. In fact, they rarely work at all!! Find a good pain doc and push for relief. God bless and best of luck. Hugs, Lee "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 11/10/10  9:36am
" Thank you both for your input. I did have an epidural steroid injection once, and wow I will never do that again. I was in worse pain after. Hopefully my rheumatologist will give me some feedback as which direction to go. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/12/10  10:13pm
" Hi All,

I am new to this group also and it appears my sciatica is permanent after 6 year from injuries sustained in a car accident. I also have herniated disks, L5/S1, L1/L2, with all the other lumbar disks budging as well as cervical bulging.

If your disk is bulging at L5/S1 the sciatica is not in you head, and good place to start is not to over exerting yourself.

Next, I agree with Raoul, you need to find good doctors.

IFFY - The cortisone shots are "iffy", and if they work for you that's great. Sometime the relief the cortisone offers is only temporary, and you would need to go back for more. Unfortunately, they didn't work for me and I tried them many times seeking relief.

But, Lee is doing the same treatment as me, pain meds and therapy.

I also had a similar procedure as Fibropain722, it was called facet joint injections at L5/S1 and L4/L5, I had to stop the procedure as it was too painful for me. Unfortunately the shots did not work, was sick for 3 days after the procedure and I will never do them again.

Have you checked with a neurologist to verify that none of your nerve roots are impinged, or have you had nerve conduction studies?

After all is said and done, it hurts and there is pain from you back through you buttock and down your legs! Unfortunately my hips and pelvis get in the act also.

There is no one doctor who take care to the whole body, everything is specialized so you may need more than one doctor.

Don't give up, find the doctors that understand you pain and who will help. First, get some help for the pain, sometimes it's so strong you can't even think straight.

Keep positive, Alicia a fellow Fibromite "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web