Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
cold weather and breathing issues
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi,
My pulmonologist said I do not have asthma because it could not be induced in one of the tests I had. However, this cold weather is making me feel like I have asthma. My chest is tight, my lungs hurt, and I'm coughing like crazy (dry). What should I do? Do I ignore it and wait for warmer temps or should I consult a doctor?
Posted on 02/05/09, 08:20 pm
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Sarcoidosis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/08/09  9:10pm
" I WOULD CONSULT MY DOCTOR AGAIN. DID THEY DO A CHEST X-RAY, PFT'S? I'VE FOUND THAT JUST CHANGING TEMPS/ENVIRONMENTS PERIOD CAN START ME TO COUGHING. ARE YOU ON ANY MEDS? DO YOU COUGH UP ANYTHING? IS YOUR PULMONOLOGIST FAMILIAR WITH SARCOID BECAUSE IT CAN MIMIC SO MANY THINGS. LET ME KNOW. HANG IN THERE "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/11/09  12:54am
" I have had a similar problem and I don't have asthma either. But I did take this test and they told me I have deficient lung function. I do not remember what it is called but they can do it in a regular doctors office. Also, last April my pulmonologist found an abscess in my left lung as well as some fluid so I would suggest getting a CAT scan or other breathing tests. I also have some wheezing too but you may be different so you should consult with your doctor more, possibly your regular doctor because pulmonologists can only go so far in my experience. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/15/09  1:49pm
" Hello,

My pulmonary doctor told me that I have asthma as well. However, it's unclear whether or not it is "Sarcoid Related Asthma" or just because of alergy related causing this Asthma of mine. I have whezing when I'am outdoors in the winter months. I've been outdoors doing this paperoute that my wife has for income and it has been down to 5 degrees above zero or even colder and even the windchill making it colder. I did have a face mask that cover my mouth when doing this paperoute.

In retrospective though, this inflammatary pain I have in my legs is more of a bothersome than my Asthma. "Chilli Pepper Cream" doesn't do much good at all in the colder months for me anymore. This cream supposely is less efficient after three years use like myself.
gary "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/15/09  1:51pm
" SabrinaC,

By the way, what kind of dog is that in that picture above your name or "username"??
gary "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/17/09  1:01am
" I was just to my new pulmonologist and he said that the sarcoids can sometimes mimic asthma and cycle. I actually have more problems when it's warmer and the humidity is high. I get even more short of breath, dry cough. (basically have asthma attacks) I have an inhaler I use for those attacks. I would talk to you're doctor and see what he says. I have been through many doctors and they all have their different views on sarcoids and treatments. And if you find your doctors prescribe a nebulizer or inhaler it may make a world of difference and air will feel thin and easy--it's wierd how we don't realize how different things are until they are made better!! the first time i did the nebulizer i never knew it could be so easy to breathe!!!! Hang in there and I hope you feel better soon!
--jenn-- :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/17/09  8:34am
" i have had sarcoidosis for 26 years, and have exhibited almost every symptom you can think of. i too have great difficulty breathing in very cold weather. Right now, i just use xopenex (an inhaler). it seems to work for those cold days. for a couple of years, singulair also helped with any breathing difficulties for warm as well as cold weather. my pulmonologist said my sarcoid mimicks asthma. i hope this helps. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web