Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Boils
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Not a fun subject and a pain in the tush... :(

I have had 5 boils over the last several months. I am on Arava and Humira. Has anyone had experience with boils? They are painful and I am tired of them. I have a call in to my doc so we shall see was she has to say.

Thanks for you input.

Michelle
Posted on 05/13/10, 12:06 pm
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Rheumatoid Arthritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/13/10  12:54pm
" You need to go in and have the doc check for a bacteria called MRSA, which can cause recurring and painful boils anywhere on the skin (but usually in warm/moist areas covered by clothing). They test for it by lancing the boil and looking at the fluid that comes out of it for the bacteria. MRSA is becoming very common and even people with healthy immune systems can get it.

What a miserable thing to have to live with....your doc should be able to do something to help you whether it's MRSA or not. I cannot imagine having to tolerate something so painful! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/13/10  6:23pm
" I only had one boil in my life and it was in an embarrassing place. It hurt too! I just remember soaking in hot baths, hot compresses and some kind of drawing salve.
Being you are on biologics (I wasn't) I would make it a point to talk to your doctor like DW suggested.
Good luck in finally being rid of them! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/14/10  4:31pm
" Well I did got to the Dr. He drained and placed me on antibiotics for ten days. This is the first time I have been off my RA meds since I started taking them for RA. Fingers crossed!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/14/10  9:28pm
" I'm so glad you went in and had it drained. Antibiotics are a good idea, though I hope the MD is specifically testing for MRSA (which is an antibiotic-resistant bacteria). I really hope this solves your problem....no way should you have to put up with painful boils that make sitting difficult! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/27/10  6:06pm
" Hi Michelle,
5 boils is alot to have in one go! If you find they become a recurrent problem you may want to research the subject 'Hidradenitis Suppurativa'. A a sufferer of this complaint I know how damned painful it is to have boils in your nether-regions. I hope yours clear up never to be seen again.
Good luck
Michele x "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/28/10  12:58am
" I have had many boils and have horrible scarring from them all over my thighs, under my arms, and in other more embarrassing places. At any one time I will have 2-15 actively swollen, red and painful boils. They seem to puss out, and either heal and pop up elsewhere, or become reinfected. I have had them for so long (since I was about 14) that for years, I thought they were a normal part of adolescence and told no one about them. It wasn't until I was 18 and started dating my husband that I was informed of the fact that it is abnormal. So I sought treatment. I have tried topical antibiotics, and topical antibiotic/anti-fungal/cortisone combo creams. I have been to the doctor many times for them, and have been on long term antibiotic (doxycycline) therapy for more than a year for them. The only thing that really seems to help is oral prednisone, but even then I still get flare-ups from it.

I am always told to thoroughly wash them, and try not to touch anywhere else on the body or anyone or anything else after touching them without first washing your hands.

In my experience, the bacteria that causes them (usually some form of staph) is highly contagious and difficult to get rid of.

Definitely talk to your doctor. Nip this in the bud early before much of your body becomes scarred.

Hope it clears up for you,

Aoife "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web