How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Sore hands and cutlery - how do u manage?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
My RA hands are sore and when I hold a normal knife (for cutting dinner, etc.), the hardness of the plastic or metal really intensifies the pain in my fingers and hand.

What do other people use? Has anyone seen knives with RA friendly handles? Do you ever wrap your knife with a soft fabric or something similar so your hand is 'cushioned' as it holds the knife handle?

BTW, I have 2 arthritis type serrated knives for meal preparation made by Swedish company, Stirex. It's handle is at right-angles to the blade and great for cutting bread, fruit & vege but not so nice or manageable for sitting down at dinner time.

I'd be interested to hear your suggestions and to know how other people handle this.
Posted on 11/17/09, 07:25 am
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Rheumatoid Arthritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/17/09  7:58am
" Hi

The only thing I've found that works is a rocker knife with a gell handle. It looks a little weird but does help. Also, for chopping, cutting, and dicing in the kitchen I use a menzulla (mispelled)by kitchen aid. That helps alot. Just becareful with the menzulla it is wickedly sharp. I hope it works for you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/17/09  9:03am
" This is one problem I've not been able to solve. I simply can't cut any meat products...once I was out at a restaurant and forgot this fact, and then ended up totally embarrassed when I had to have the waitress cut my steak. Unless someone is around to cut my meat for me, I either can't eat it, or if I'm by myself I just pick it up and chomp off the bone like a caveman (I hate that!). Softer things like potatoes I can cut with a big-handled serrated knife. There are a lot of foods I've just given up on because I can't cut or peel them (like squash, corn on the cob, melons, etc.).

A food processor does help depending on what you're making, but I find that too can be hard on the hands when you have to put it together/take it apart. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 11/17/09  10:12am
" Wow- I feel for you guys- I haven't had that problem since my onset flare. I used to do a wrap with an ace bandage then to give my hand more strength. I would do a couple wraps around the wrist, up and over the thumb, back around the writ and some wraps across the lower knuckles. Before I figured that out I used to stare at my dinner plate and cry. My family would be scoffing down and never realized I was incapable of doing anything with a whole piece of meat on my plate..... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 11/18/09  2:49pm
" They actually make a soft, larger cushioned handles that you can slide on and off your own cutlery. They are white vinyl coating black foam that you can slip on and off.

I found them a Shoppers Drug Mart (Home Health Care store - for old people) Canada. Some drug stores will carry specialty stuff like that.

http://www.shoppersdrugmart.ca/engl... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 11/18/09  5:02pm
" RA Guy posted about a knife he uses that helps: http://www.rheumatoidarthritisguy.c... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 11/18/09  6:01pm
" One thing I do is get someone to help when they are around. I might get something cut hours ahead of time because that is when help is available.

BTW: I dont give up on those foods like steak that are too hard: I just eat with my fingers, as daintily as possible. Not in a restaurant tho - I get help.

Here's a page with a few suggestions on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?u...

kelly ;D
http://rawarrior.com "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 11/18/09  9:54pm
" I go to the plumbing section of Lowe's or Menards and get lengths of pipe insulation. It is gray colored and comes in several lengths and a few hole sizes. I just cut the length I want and slide it onto silverware, hair brush, etc. It is a lot cheaper than the stuff made just for special use. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web