Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Dr.Weil
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
After my Bad experience with my Rheumy, I thought I start looking back at Homeopathic remedies. Dr. Weil has a Antiflammatory Diet on his Website and I started yesterday. I also saw that he recommnded Zyflamend as a substitute for Celebrex. It supposedly has the same effect as that, without the side effects. I' ll go to the health Food Store to get some. I still take the Prednisone 10 mg and for pain I take Tylenol Arthritis. Not sure what to do when a flare comes. I hadn't had one in 9 days.Which scares me a little.. But anyway I thought I'd share the Dr. Weil's Anti inflammatory Food Guide Pyramid with you. www.drweil.com.
Posted on 02/28/09, 10:15 pm
16 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Rheumatoid Arthritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/01/09  12:02am
" Bigblue - I would be so leary about non doctor prescribed stuff. I do not thin what he is talking about will help your issues. We have had many posts on alternative treatments and while they are on my wish list, I am enough of a reallist to say I don't think so.

If it works for you, I'm glad but really concerned about your joint damage in the meantime.

Warmest hugs,

Lynne "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/01/09  12:17am
" I am inclined to agree with Lynne. Be very careful about changing medications without your doctor's knowledge. RA is such a weird and complicated condition, with people reacting to things in very different ways, that I would be very concerned about going off the reservation, so to speak. I know many times doctors are indoctrinated in their field, but at the same time, unless they're prescribing something really off the wall, I do believe they are trying medications and treatments that have been tested clinically. Just be careful because you don't want to trigger an unwanted response to your condition. If it gives you relief, that's great, but so many of these alternatives turn out to be just a lot of hogwash. Take care and keep us posted. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/01/09  5:59am
" I agree with Lynne and Dottie. I've had ra for 16 yrs and have tried many many things, supplements, diets, exercises, juices, etc.

Three things have consistently worked for me, Dr. prescribed medication, pure high potent fish oil and warm water exercise.

Be very careful about not consulting with your Dr. b/f making changes in your treatment. You may go into a flare that takes a very long time to come out of.

I think that we all wish there was a magic bullet out there but believe me if there was we would be shouting it from the rooftops!

Take care and be careful. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/01/09  2:32pm
" Guys,
I don't mean to be annoying, but you do realize that Prednisone CAUSES bone loss, right?

I don't believe doctors know best. I could give you plenty of stories where they didn't know best. It's important to understand HOW a drug works. If you don't know the ins and outs of how the drugs you're taking are working on your body, then I think people are making a mistake.

Joint damage is scary of course and I would never want anyone to have to experience such a thing. I also don't believe that alternative methods are necessarily the best for everyone.

I'm completely confused why non doctor prescribed stuff is scary. We've all taken exercise classes without a doctor's approval as well as taken over the counter medications.

Besides that, Zyflamend was recommended by two people on this site who's doctor recommended it.

Though I doubt Zyflamend could actually substitute Celebrex, because they work in entirely different ways, I do think that alternative options work and if you're dedicated to learning and taking supplements every day, then you can get to a place where you have no swelling whatsoever, which is the cause of joint damage.

These are just my opinions of course!
gentle hugs,
Sarah
www.gentlehugscafe.com "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/01/09  7:58pm
" Sarah - you are not annoying; you just have a different point of view. Yes, I am well aware of possible bone loss and that is why I get regular bone scans - no problems so far. I'm glad that your regime works for you but it may not be the answer for everyone. Frankly, I would trust my rheumatologist over Dr. Weil any day.

Lynne "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/01/09  10:10pm
" Bigiblue, all I know is that before I was officially diagnosed, I had pretty much figured out what I had. I had two close friends about 15 and 20 years ago who got RA and did NOT have the DMARDS and biologics we have now. They are a mess.

As far as alternative treatments go, I am not looking to just feel better (which is why my rheumy and I will not use prednisone on a regular basis)---I am looking to stop the disease process, or at least slow it down. I want my overall health to be better. This is a serious, chronic disease that, like it or not, requires aggressive treatment. I research stuff practically daily, and I have a list of treatment options. But I have chosen to go the medical route in a fully proactive way.

And I'll tell you what: The best 'advice' I can give is what I would tell my daughter if SHE had been recently diagnosed: get aggressive treatment from a rheumatologist FIRST. Get the disease process under control FIRST.

I have ALWAYS been anti-pharma. Still am. I KNOW, after working in a psyc hospital, how pharnaceutical companies OWN these diseases. I hate it, it is wrong, and it keeps alternatives that are natural and inexpensive away from the public. BUT...I think if there is a diet that would cure us or was the answer or could do the same job as a prescription, the rheumies would tell us. Heck, the surgeon general would publish it. But the most important thing is to check with your doctor before using some alternative.
And Sarah, the reasons that non-prescribed stuff is scary to me are many, in the case of treating a disease like RA. Like when someone like bigiblue decides to change to these alternatives without doctor input. Also, it is another thing we are putting into the caustic mix that RA has brought, and I'm not a rheumy, so yeah---I want monitoring and feedback on everything.

((hugs)) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 03/02/09  1:23am
" Tessie,
Honestly, I agree with you 100% in terms of, "get your disease under control first."
Lynne, you have always been terribly sweet and smart and I appreciate that. And I also appreciate that everyone lets me have my point of view, even though I do know it's a strong and passionate one. Thank you all for being so cool. :)

I have to admit, I'm glad I experienced the "normal" drugs first so I could have a comparison.

I also think getting a good Rheumy is essential.

In my opinion if you're doctor is completely close minded about any type of diet, supplement routine to compliment the drugs you take, then personally, I think it's a sign that perhaps you need to switch doctors.

As well, I have had more "bad" doctors than good. The first was when I was a child and I know he shaped my view and disdain for doctors thereafter. (I was 8) So please excuse to a certain point, my adamant behavior for alternative medications....I simply don't "trust" doctors.

Along with those reasons, I have done lots of research, just as many of you have. What concerns me mostly is that the methotrexate, the normal protocol seem to first damage the intestines. They seem to also damage the lungs to a certain degree, depending on dispositions. Intestines in particular make up 75% to 80% of your immune system. It only makes sense to me that with more damage, comes more diseases.
Tnf blockers can cause neurological diseases. The fact that they have rarely, but sometimes cause Multiple Sclerosis and the theory that both RA and MS are similar makes me think that tnf blockers in particular are not something to be messed with. They have not been researched long enough.
Both methotrexate and biologics have been known to cause cancer and they're still researching it. FDA approves drugs on the basis that the "good effects are greater than the risks". So honestly, that's up for people to decide. If you feel that getting cancer is worth the quality of life you'll experience before that happens, then by all means, go for it! I personally felt that the quality of life I experienced after taking alternative methods far outweighed the quality of life experienced on the normal RA drugs. Perhaps I will get joint damage, but since I'm having less swelling than I did when I was on the normal drugs, then my research shows I'll have less joint damage because I made the switch. I could be completely wrong of course. I could end up with cancer and joint damage, but I highly doubt it.

Because I can't guarantee anything, I can't say what's best for any person at all.

I doubt a doctor, no matter who they are could guarantee anything either.

Thanks for listening and being so sweet. Bigblue, I wish you the best!
-gentle hugs,
Sarah "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 03/02/09  7:36am
" Bigblue. I have zyflamend at home here now. It gave me the WORST heartburn, ever! Hopefully you have a different reaction than I did. I'm always leary of going one extreme or another. I think the diet, along w/traditional medication is a safer method. At the very least I'd make sure your primary doc (if you dont have a Rheumy) knows what you are doing so they can monitor joints, etc. Good luck, Lisa "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 03/02/09  7:42am
" Wow,thanks for all your input. Let me first tell you that the decision to go strictly alternative is not what I plan to do. I just want to research my options. I think I am in the very early stages of the disease. I know that is the best time to start agressive drugs, but my Liver is already messed up right now, and I don't want to go into Liver failure. My Rheumy is a b..... for not being a little bit more understanding, I felt like all she wants is the almighty dollar. I'll be probably looking for another one. In the mean time I am going to my regular Dr. and see what he recommends to do with my liver problem. I will need to wait to have another Blood test in a month and that is the time that I wan to try the alternative route. If I feel better and have no flares then I feel I am doing something right. I need to know you all all feel on any given day.For instance, I get up in the morning and go about my day. I don't feel stiff, except in my Neck a little. I may have sore shoulder's or upper arm muscle pain like I have been excersing for a long time. My toes sometimes hurt, but not everyday. My hand and finger may hurt,but again not everyday. The right hand is the one I get my flare and then It hurts like H. The last one was 2 weeks ago.
My knees don't hurt. My hips don't hurt. I do have chronic back pain, but that aslo has been good for a great while.
So as you all can see I am not in the stages that you all are in, or at least most of you. I read that alot of you are sick with alot of other things, like alot of nausea, great pain all over you'r bodies etc... I don't know how much each of you weighs, bubt as I have read weight has alot to do with Joint Pain. I am on a mission so to speak to see what I can do for right now, until I have to go on these Drugs.
I am 5'6 and weigh 163#. I want to loose 10-15# and see if that makes a difference. Sorry this was so long. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 03/02/09  1:43pm
" I did a little research on Zyflamend a while ago. It does contain ingredients known to reduce inflammation (such as ginger and tumeric), but the New Chapter site says it's for non-chronic inflammation. From that, I inferred that it's not meant for long-term use, so I decided not to try it at that time. If I change my mind later, I know it's readily available at my local GNC store. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web