Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
ra friendly things around the house
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Thought I would like to start a topic about the things I have found that help me around the house. First I use Corelle dishes because they are light weight and almost unbreakable. Next is my battery operated pepper grinder. And third is a coffee cup with finger grips. What are your favorite things?
Posted on 07/04/13, 11:23 am
19 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Rheumatoid Arthritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/04/13  11:35am
" We use the same kind of dishes. They are great. I wear thick shoes house shoes. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/04/13  11:39am
" Hi Diddyann,
I like to use the pods in both the dishwasher and the clothes washer. I find that they are much easier than trying to pour detergent. Yes, I use Corelle dishes also for the light weight. I have never seen a coffee cup with finger grip, but it is a wonderful idea. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/04/13  11:44am
" I love the correll too. two years ago I bought great cookwear professional quality now they are so heavy that I don't cook when I flare. I love bags with shoulder straps. Pampered chef make an awsome jar/bottle opener. love my rotary cheese grater. My faucet handles are all levers, which happened coincidentally b/c I liked the look. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/04/13  1:06pm
" I have Corelle dishes, have been using those since 1971. Our exterior door handles are levers, easy to use. We put in a wood floors in the livingroom, so much easier to keep clean. I added peg things to the cupboards, so I could add shelves. This way I do not have to stack things on top of each other as much, making it easier to get things out of cupboard. My grip is not what it use to be. i added pull out shelves in lower cupboards, easier to get to things. Under the sink, I have a pull out unit for things like detergent, also a pullout unit for trash cans. I also encourage the dogs to stand guard while I cook, so they can make sure to clean up after I drop things! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/04/13  1:20pm
" MPK1952, thank you for the reminder. My sweet Maggie is one of my best helpers in the house. She is aways there to clean up my spills and to just sit with me when I end of up on the floor. What would we do without our canine friends? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 07/04/13  1:20pm
" The coffee cup is a Whataburger comm. buffalo nickel coffee cup. You can google it to see the handle design. Recently I asked the Whataburger chain to re-release it. I hope they do I would love to buy a half dozen more. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 07/04/13  2:19pm
" Don't know what I do without the canines;) I need to get some Corelle, my dishes are SO heavy. I like the one step can opener and jar opener. Also I have a little hook from BBB that helps open cans that have the snap thingy. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 07/04/13  4:21pm
" I too have Corelle plates and bowls. They are great! I also love my extra roomy Crocs for extra foot support. However, I would have to say that my absolute favorite thing for my RA is my Select Comfort SleepNumber bed. My husband and I got it years ago before I was even diagnosed, but it is wonderful. I can set it to the softest level and my poor joints don't have to endure the pressure points of a regular bed. I know it works too, because I just got back from a week in California where I slept on a regular mattress and my hips just ached and ached. One night I even woke up with an elbow killing me! Since I've been back my hips have been just fine and no more aches and pains at night. Love my bed! : ) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 07/04/13  5:52pm
" I have a great hard plastic thick bottle opener that works wonders. I received it as a complementary gift from the arthritis foundation. I also was told by my podiatrists that I should wear shoes in the house that have at least an inch heel to prevent ankle soreness. That has helped tremendously. Sometimes i will use paper plates. That helps with the heaviness and the not having to wash dishes afterwards. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 07/04/13  6:26pm
" I wear my pink crocs almost all the time (to the horror of my teen daughters). I have a latex foam mattress, which I ordered after I got RA and has been wonderful for my joints. I have daughters to open jars. I try to keep everything I use regularly within easy reach. I don't yet have a bar or seat in my tub, which I have been thinking about lately. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web