Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Muscle spasms
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi All,

I suffer from muscle spasms all over my body. Calfs, thighs, buttocks, back, feet, toes... I never know when one or bunches will hit me. Yesterday my right thigh and toes on my right foot spasmed continuously all day long. Now my muscle in my right thigh is very sore. Do any of you have this problem? I would love to know what causes them, but even better I would like to know if there is anything I can do to prevent them. Any ideas?
Posted on 12/10/07, 06:00 pm
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Rheumatoid Arthritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/10/07  6:05pm
" I think maybe Ive heard that it is from a potassium deficiency. So maybe try some bananas! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/10/07  6:10pm
" Oh too bad, I'm allergic to bananas, lol! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/10/07  6:16pm
" I've had a muscle spasms in my back- although thankfully not frequently. Last year, I had one come on suddenly, and I clenched my teeth so hard I broke a filling. Drugs don't touch them, except lidocaine patch. Chiropractic makes it worse, but massage helps (eventually, after the feeling that you've been beaten half to death subsides). I've also found that sustained pressure directly into the spasm can help, and I have actually used a wooden bath brush wedged between my back and a chair to accomplish this. Mine are stress related, but I've also heard that they can be related to potassium deficiency. Some drug affect potassium excretion, so you might want to check with your doctor or pharmacist. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/10/07  7:29pm
" I take a potassium tablet every day & it works wonders. Before I started it I had horrible leg & toe cramps. Might want to try it.
Deb "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/10/07  8:02pm
" O.K. I did a little research, take it or leave it. First, potassium and dehydration could be likely causes. Try intaking more of those. Good sources for potassium are all kinds of things! Highest on the list are white beans, beat greens, lima beans and potatoes. For a complete list, I found a good site. http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/foo...

What I also found was contradictory information. Some sites said RA causes spasms, while others claimed RA didn't cause it, but Fibromialgia did. Since you have both, it's one of the two...lol. I also found "Deficiencies of calcium and magnesium can also cause spasms or twitching." If all else fails, I read that antibiotics help with spasms. Good luck and I hope you find a cure!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/11/07  6:24pm
" Thanks everyone for your input! Sarah, I've actually been on antibiotics for the last two weeks for a respiratory infection and still managed to have spasms,lol! hugs to all Jilly "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/11/07  10:16pm
" Jilly, I have muscle spasms too. I really think they are RA related, even though my RD won't say they are. Maybe our meds deplete some specific minerals. I have been taking a magnesium/zinc supplement and it helps A LOT!!! I tried potassium, quinine, and a few other things before I found what worked for me. I think you should give magnesium a go. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web