DailyStrength will be undergoing a scheduled site upgrade, starting Monday, June 27 beginning at 7am EDT (4am PDT). This should take approximately 28 hours to complete. During that time, you will not be able to register as a new member or make any new posts.

More DailyStrength
Health Event Calendar
See what's new on the site
Step-by-step Tutorials
How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Please explain?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I am very new to all of this and have yet to even see a Rheumatologist. My Physical Medicine and Rehab specialist did a bunch of blood work and wants to send me to a Rheumy. He said I have elevated CRP and SED rate. Can you explain to me why this means I need to see a Rheumatologist? I understand that it measures inflamation, but how does inflamation automatically mean RA? I'm so confused and just ignorant to this topic. So I apologize in advance if this is a like a DUH type of question? Thanks!

Hopefully this will post! It hasn't worked the few times I have tried, so I apologize in advance if it double or triple posts somehow.
Posted on 01/20/13, 11:51 am
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Rheumatoid Arthritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/20/13  12:23pm
" I don't think it automatically means RA, but if you are having other symptoms (painful, swollen joints, fatigue, etc) then they are just putting 2 and 2 together. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/20/13  1:47pm
" What kinds of tests do they do to figure out what kind you have? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/20/13  6:00pm
" Sara, usually the SED rate and anti CCP tests are the tests they run to determine if it's ra. Since you have elevated SED rates then that's probably what they are basing their referral from. You will learn more as you go along. Certainly do some online research. It's a good way to get more information. Webmd.com is a good website, so is artritis today (they even have a magazine).

Good luck to you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/21/13  8:32am
" RAwarrior.com also has some great information and a diagnosis navigator that starts with "could I have RA". Good luck to you "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/21/13  10:49am
" What symptoms do you have????

If your joint pain is syemtrical it's a major clue and why they ran those tests...i.e. BOTH hands or BOTH feet. Sometimes RA starts out in a flare up which would give you flu-like symptoms - achy and fatigued. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/21/13  11:21am
" RASS- I have lots of pain in my feet, hands, wrists, ankles,neck, and lower back that is there almost all of the time. It is always both hands, feet, etc. I usually feel exhausted no matter what I do, though the gym helps and eating a balanced diet. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/21/13  11:45am
" The symptoms you are describing with the bloodwork results is most likely why you are being referred to a rheumatologist. They will be able to further break it down to determine if you have RA or something else - the symptoms you describe were the very same ones that I had, I was sent to a rheumy and then had further bloodwork done to determine if it was RA or Lupus; they were able to rule out Lupus and Sjrogren's and determined it was RA. Best of luck - ask lots of questions and definitely look around online. "

Add Your Reply

More From Around the Web