Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
fingers getting disfigured
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Over the past few weeks I have noticed a change in the shape of my findgers - now I am seeing the disfiguration getting worse practically daily - I amgetting very upset- does this stop???? I am awaiting actemra and am now doing 25mg injectable meth. I was on enbrel for a month andthen hummira for a month and keep on getting worse. Help thanks
Posted on 05/15/11, 09:28 pm
17 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Rheumatoid Arthritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/15/11  10:35pm
" This is a tough one. I'm able to ignore how I feel sometimes but the hardest reminder that I have RA is looking at the physical changes, and my hands / wrists / arms are the most noticeable. My .says that if we find a biologic that works that some of the disfiguration might decrease (swelling and nodules). I'm pretty sure that I am seeing joint changes, too, though, and its very distressing. I cry sometimes. I was looking at pictures the other day, and one of them looked exactly like my hands. Maybe sometimes there's too much information on the internet.

Keep on top of your rheumy -- you have to get on something that will work.

Best wishes, "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/15/11  11:39pm
" Mine are starting to get twisted. My pointer finger on my right hand turns in towards my pinky finger and the tips of my middle fingers on both hands are crooked. My fingers were so swollen a few days ago, I didn't think I would get my rings off. I just had my nails done too and now I can really tell how crooked my fingers are. It's sad. I hope these medications stop this. I just started on Orencia myself. Good luck with your medication! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/16/11  12:45am
" The pain I can deal with better than the physical changes as I know that comes and goes - but even during minimal pain times my hands still look disfigured.....I am starting my 3rd biologic and my RA has actuall gottenmuch more active since I started on them -..... good luck "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/16/11  10:56am
" When I was on the MTX and the Enbrel shots, my fingers got worst as well. When I had to go off of it, the erosion slowed down. The Rheumy said I had to take more of the MTX to slow down the disfigurement. But if I wasn't as disfigured prior to the drugs, how would taking more have helped me?

I was very upset at the time.

{{{hugs}}} :-( "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/16/11  1:10pm
" Funny. My pointer finger has always leaned towards the others about 45 degrees. Always assumed it was from playing the violin at a young age. (??). I do have a great deal of 'backwards' hyperextension in the fingers.

My pinkies are getting harder and harder to straighten out. (much less hyperextend) Doc recommended splinting at night and the splint I found is foam covered metal. Not bad, but clunky. Has anyone used the Oval-8 Finger Splints? I just ordered "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 05/16/11  1:32pm
" @aggie- Let me know how the splint works. I've been thinking about getting one for the fingers on my my right hand. I'm thinking that if I can keep them straight at night, they may not be so swollen and painful when I wake up. Where did you get it? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/16/11  2:28pm
" I got the metal/foam splint at CVS pharmacy-- in the first aid section. I ordered the Oval-8 from Amazon.com and should get it in a few days. It actually looks like you can wear it during the daytime and still be able to bend the finger. I'll let you know! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 05/16/11  2:56pm
" nancy,
I'm so sorry! Frightening I know! I don't have a clear answer for you on the disfiguration. I notice that when I'm having a flare they really look bad! Right now, as of yesterday, my swelling and pain has gone way down so they do look better. I started Humira too last month and it seems like it stirred everything up rather than calmed it down but I'm going to continue for a least 2 more months to see if it gets under control. When were you diagnosed? Hang in there. I hope you feel better soon! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 05/16/11  5:58pm
" Hi Nancy,
I am sorry to hear about your physical changes in your fingers. I was off of MTX and Enbrel for 2 mos and am starting to get some of the changes. It is scary! You have a visible sign day by day of what is going on inside your body. May I ask why you were only on the Enbrel or Humira for a month? Did you have problems or side effects? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 05/16/11  6:22pm
" I am 45, just got back from the RA visit with the doc. I asked him about my fingers as well and they are in pain and curving/nodules/swelling. I asked if the MTX that he has prescribed me today along with Medrol injection, folic acid will stop the curving in my fingers and he told me it will only slow the process down. He also stated that as long as there is no inflammation going on in the joints it will not deteriorate the bone, hope this helps and I hope you feel better soon!! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web