Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Night sweats, what do you do?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Does anyone else have "night sweats"? Mine come & go, but lately I go to bed feeling cold. I don't use several blankets at this time of years. Use a ceiling fan on low.
BUT now I've been waking up in the middle of the night just drenched! The pillow are wet and the bed. I wake up change my bed clothes and try to sleep again.
Most times I have to go to the sofa, to sleep sitting up. I'm sure I'm not the only one going through this. But do know that it means I'm in a flare-up stage. That has been going on for awhile, for pushing myself too hard.
I have AS- Ankylosing Spondylities is a certain type of arthritis the fuses areas. And Fifro.
What do you do with "night sweats"?
HELP?
Posted on 08/07/10, 12:45 pm
18 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Rheumatoid Arthritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/07/10  1:11pm
" Hi KylieAnn,

I feel your pain! Well, I should say your sweat! I have lots of sweating problems in general... I sweat profusely all the time but I also have Addison's diesase for which I take steroids several times a day and we (the doctors and I) think that has something to do with the reason I sweat so much. HOWEVER, it is still somewhat of a mystery because I was sweating profusely before I began treatment for Addison's Disease. Sometimes it gets worse and I still can't figure out why or what to attribute it to. Sometimes I have night sweats so bad that like you I have to get up in the middle of the night and change where I am sleeping.

My only guess for myself is that it may relate to hormones. One of my doctors did explain it to me that the body sweats to release toxins so when it increases in sweating there are an abundance of toxins of some kind (anykind - could be a virus, bacteria, allergy, illness acting up or in an inflammatory state, etc...) releasing. When I really thought about that and digested it, it does make sense.

So, now when I sweat and am really frustrated that I can't figure out why exactly I try less to add an additional medicine to make it stop and try harder to find the root cause of why it is happening within my body - what is the toxin? Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I don't.

I'm sorry if I just went in circles there and wasn't really any help. I guess I really just want you to know that you are not alone! I suffer with you and have tried to use it as a communicator from my body that something is "out of whack" and I need to pay close attention to get it back into whack and treat myself well.

You are in my thoughts!
Cosby "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/07/10  2:49pm
" Are you on Prednisone? It will cause night sweats. I had them for a long time. A lot of mine came before the P. and it could have been other things but when I went on P it was bad. Charlie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/07/10  4:22pm
" " To answers a few questions that are great ideas.
I had a surgery for a Hysterectomy years ago. No need for medication for menopause last 7 years.
Medication I'm on are: Methotrexate .5ml injection 2x week
Celebrex- 200mg 2x a day
Lunesta 1 at bed time but doesn't last all night
Pain management- Fentanyl patch 75 mcg- 3-4 days per patch
Norco- 10mg/325mg 2 3x a day. I don't take it near bedtime because it keeps me awake.
Diazepan 5mg 2 pills at bedtime
I did take oxy for years but caused a blockage that require surgery. So I stop that stuff.
I don't drink any caffeinated drinks at all. Only water, cut my smoking in half, my goal is to stop by Sept 4th. So far so good.
For years I took Prednisone for years, but the weight gain cause more pain.
Since I've been on the Methotrexate injections over a year, I've lost over 40 pounds, made me more active. I don't have the need for naps as much as I use too. " "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/07/10  9:32pm
" I have had night sweats due to menopause and am taking Vagifem and Remifemin(black Cohosh)
It helps a little, but sometimes I wake up drenched also. It must also be RA. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/07/10  9:55pm
" I used to have awful night sweats when I was on prednisone. Like you said - I might have started out cold but in the middle of the night I'd be drenched. My solution was before bed I would powder myself up with baby powder and put on an absorbent sleeveless t shirt. Then I would wear my PJ's on top. In the middle of the night I would remove the drenched t shirt, powder myself up again and put on a new pj top. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/08/10  12:59am
" I hate to sound like I am disagreeing with everyone else, but I had the sweating long before my diagnosis and any of the meds and also before there were any mid life hormonal issues. When I have a flair, they get worse. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 08/08/10  1:43am
" I have them along with hot flashes and wondered for awhile if I could be entering a premenopausal state (I'm 39) but my doc's assistant thinks it's the Prednisone (I take it daily). I can deal with night sweats. I can deal with hot flashes. It's the flare up pain I detest. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 08/09/10  4:42am
" When I was on Pred. for 2 years I had so many hot flashes I was miserable. As soon as I was weaned off of it they slowed down greatly. Having had a hyst. 25 years ago I have hot flashes but not too bad. I was one of the lucky ones and the hormone issue has almost always been just right. i have noticed since officially diagnosed with RA in Feb. 2007 when I am fixing to experience a flare up I have a tremendous amount of hot flashes and have night sweats a few days before it hits. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 08/09/10  8:14am
" I drink ice water and put a small fan in the face "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 08/09/10  8:21pm
" It's so true, that I had my "night sweats" way before everything.
I do know it has to do with being at major Flare-up. The winter & spring I was fine, Then the hot summer HIGH humidity kick my ass. The need for pain needs. Staying indoors more.
With everyone help, I put a large beach towel on the bed & pillow. I always had Ice water at the bedside but will drink it more.
I called my doctor today and she increased my Methotrexate a little. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web