Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Biking Support Group
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have started a group to encourage people to ride bikes. With my deformed feet and damaged knees, this is the one thing that has really helped keep my joints moving, and feel good about myself. (ie. low impact)

Please find us at:

http://www.dailystrength.org/groups...

PS. If you are having an active flare, join, but do not cycle until the flare is over. Hope to see you there.
Posted on 06/28/10, 12:24 am
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Rheumatoid Arthritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 06/28/10  8:19am
" I think this is a great idea. I know that I am in need of some type of exercise and walking is not something that I can do nearly as much as I used to. I still walk some, about 1/2 to 1 mile two or three times a week depending on my feet. I talked with the Dr. and he said biking would be good it is more low impact on my ankles. I tried a bike a couple of time and then decided to buy one. My ankles and feet always feel good after a ride and so far I have not stiffened up after. If anything my feet feel better for the rest of the day. Hope to see you out there riding. Take Care, Charlie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 06/28/10  12:22pm
" Both my rheumie and my orthopedic surgeon told me that biking was excellent. It keeps the muscles strong, which holds the joints in place. Besides the RA damage, I have OA secondary to the RA, and a torn meniscus in my left knee and a bulging disc. As long as I stretch properly, it is not an issue.

I hope everyone who is able, gets some form of exercise - whether walking, swimming or biking. It is one of the best medicines for general health and well being. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 06/28/10  2:10pm
" Harleys are great for bad feet and ankles. I love to bike. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 06/29/10  8:33am
" smartestone, you will get more exercise if you push the harley! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 06/29/10  10:02am
" CharlieBaxter---that would be some fearsome exercise. That's funny. It was pretty apparent that you and Angela were talking bicycling, but I was struck by the image of burly bikers out for a spin. The Tour de France is nigh upon us; any watchers? Those boys are amazing athletes. It's too bad so many are also druggies. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 06/29/10  7:51pm
" Angela this is lovely idea as group things so mutually supportive even if cyber. Trouble is I have virtually no strength in one of my hands and cant bend wrist and wear support so couldnt hold bike handles or work brakes. But your bright idea and what Charlie says about exercise reminds me I need to get off butt a bit more. Buddha Cat (who seems to have truly left this site this time) does stretches and look what he achieves with the mountain walking! Time to set a proper goal... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 06/29/10  10:32pm
" I was at that place, too - once Camba. At times I wore my wrist braces when I was cycling, because I didn't want to give up - last time I did, they hurt the RA nodule on my little finger. Always something.

I just know then when I took a rehab class on RA at the local hospital, they emphasized strength and stretches. They said they were imperative. I didn't listen the first 5 years, because the pain was so overwhelming. Once I got on my biologic, I started really slowly. I think controlling the disease is the first step - but then the hard part is finding some kind of exercise you can do that is within your capabilities, and doing it consistently.

I used to dance, to play badminton, to power walk. With my feet and knees those are all long gone. But with hard soled cycling shoes, and knee braces, I can ride. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself. Well, that and Seminary. I think God created our bodies to move, to work hard, and when we don't - whether through laziness or because of disease, then we will feel the effects and shorten our life span.

I do hope you find something you can do - you aren't lazy - you are disabled. But still, I know you will find something. My cousin who is completely crippled from RA has a whole regime of exercises. She said it helps her. I guess that is the point. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web