Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Steroids aren't working!!
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Am I the only one? I am having a bad flare-up with my RA and the steroids aren't working. If memory serves, they haven't worked well—ever.

Has this happened to you? What HAS worked?
Thanks
Posted on 08/15/12, 09:29 am
8 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Rheumatoid Arthritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/31/12  10:02pm
" Hi Moxiemom, I see you havent had any replies yet, I havent been on here too long. I have always had luck with the steroids, it generally takes a couple days to get feeling some better, but thet do work for me, if I have a real bad flair, it may take a week before I feel any reall releif. i hope your feeling better now, and have found something that works for you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/01/12  12:52am
" Go to dr. Urgent care ask for depo medrol shot. It's immediate relief.

Best wishes,
Roni "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/02/12  12:16am
" I see you've had RA a long time. Do you take a biologic?

For me, NSAIDS work really well. Often, etodolac does. I've also heard that a lot of people get relief from muscle relaxers such as flexeril. I don't know the specifics but you might see about some of this with your rheum doc. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/03/12  7:50am
" The last time I got steroids, they helped my pain, but I got such horrendous side effects that I couldn't continue taking them, so really steroids aren't a viable treatment option for me either. Sorry they're not helping - I know for so many people they're excellent. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/03/12  12:46pm
" Often when we are starting to develop an allergy to a drug, the first sign of that allergy is the drug failing to work. I experienced that as I developed my allergy to steroids.

If it's not an allergy, then maybe someone has to consider the possibility that you don't have RA. Other disorders that are similar to Ra but not inflammatory don't respond to steroids.

A couple of possible ideas as to why.

Jenny "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/03/12  5:57pm
" Prednisone is what I have been taking, but it gives me insomnia! I have sleep problems anyway so I am hoping if I have to take a steroid that my dr doesn't give me that again! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 09/03/12  8:14pm
" The first time for a steroid always works great. The second time, not so much. Depo medrol also worked great for me the first time. My PCP would try something different each time once I mentioned that. Even cortisone type injections from my rheumy only helped really well the first time.

MTX and Humira are the only ones that have had any sort of positive lasting effect so far. I'd add NSAIDS, but they only seemed to help a lot at first... I still take them but now I need the big guns to really make a noticeable difference ;) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 09/30/12  3:47am
" Maybe you need to increase your dosage a little. Im on Prednisone taper right now. 15 mg for 5 days 10 for 5 days and then 5 for 5 days. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web