Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Hoarseness of Voice
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Lately I have been experiencing severe coughing and my voice has been getting progressively more hoarse. My RA doctor performed x-rays and a CT scan and told me that I had scarring in my lungs and chronic bronchitis brought on by the RA. Along with this, my voice has been getting steadily more hoarse. As anyone else experienced these symptoms, and if so, what did you do?
Posted on 08/30/10, 12:57 pm
4 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Rheumatoid Arthritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/30/10  8:37pm
" I also have a good deal of scarring on my lungs from RA and asthma. Inhalers, both steroid and brocodialators, help somewhat...but once there's scarring you've permanently lost some lung function. Ask your doc to try some inhalers and see if they help you a little. :( "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/30/10  8:42pm
" Sorry to hear about you condition.
I was told to stop all RA meds while experiencing respiratory problems. Is scarring of the lungs really irreversible?

Stay strong! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/30/10  11:48pm
" I have hoarse voice with every flare up and when the disease was at its worst, I had a swollen throat that stayed that way for weeks. It was all cleared when my treatment (with Prednisone and Methotraxate) started. So, yes, hoarseness is a symptom that I experienced at the very beginning and that I experience from time to time now. I am not an expert on this but I would suggest that this symptom is totally separate from your lung problems...It's your vocal cords that are affected - not your lungs. Hopefully, with the right cocktail of medications, both will clear. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/31/10  1:05am
" Yes, been there done that. I was a professional musician and singer. I also have asthma, which has knocked my range down quite a few notes. But the RA nodule on the vocal folds was the worst. Almost recovered, still can't sing above an A though, unless in falsetto. And there can be RA involvement in some kind of joint in the throat.

I never stop my RA meds while having respiratory problems. And I was just on anti-biotics in the spring for bronchitis. I also think that although the lungs are important for vocal support, the hoarseness is caused by vocal fold issues - whether coughing to clear your lungs (coughing is very hard on the vocal folds), or RA nodules. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web