How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Gamma knife, cyber knife..what are they?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have received some messages from DS users that makes me want to clarify this issue.. hang in there for some details (it is really interesting)

1) A newer method of delivering radiation is stereotactic FOCUSED radiation
2) These include a linear accelerator based system: Gamma Knife, X knife, or Cyber knife 3) CYBER KNIFE is a robotic arm attached to a linear accelerator.
3) These stereotactic (precise positioning in three-dimensional space) methods of radiotherapy most commonly involve a single treatment with delivery of a high dose of radiation to a small focused target resulting in decreased radiation exposure to the brain, particularly to the temporal and frontal lobes.

Hope this helps
Stereotactic radiotherapy is a very interesting emerging part of medicine
Dr O.
Posted on 07/06/07, 12:59 am
1 Reply Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Renal Cell Carcinoma (Kidney Cancer). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/11/07  10:52pm
" Thanks Dr.O. It is very confusing. We were considering this and when we asked our radiology oncologist---she said we has already done it. But the different names are confusing. I am also wondering about cryoablation for spinal tumors for palliative treatment for pain relief. Joan "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web