Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Need info
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
My dad was diagnosed with RCC 3 weeks ago and had a nephrectomy on his left kidney a week and a half ago. They removed lymph nodes and the pathology report came back as positive in the lymph nodes as well. It has not metastatized into the other organs.

There is a tumor review board at our hospital who will be reviewing his case and determining next steps for treatment.

Please tell me what I am to expect. I am driving myself crazy reading websites that seem to give the bleakest outlook possible. Please give me some hope to go on!
Posted on 04/16/12, 04:31 am
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Renal Cell Carcinoma (Kidney Cancer). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/16/12  11:37am
" Hello! The tumor review board will assess his condition and then advice treatment. For me that meant I was a good candidate for immunotheraphy but that is based on location of disease, age and overall physical state as it was a HELLISH and dangerous treatment. I have had shrinkage and disapperance of nodules in my lungs since. If your da is not a candidate for that they will probably start him on one of the many drugs available. Keep us updated! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/16/12  6:07pm
" Dr amcc0927,

you have come to the right site and many people here will help you with any questions you have.. Your fathers pathology report sounds good, for the cancer to be in the lymph nodes is a commen thing.. All 8 lymph nodes were removed during the surgery and the tumor he had was contained to the kidney.. The Tumor Reveiw Board will decide which treatment your father would benefit being on, wheather the Tageted Therapies or Immunnio-therapies which one would be the better to try with your dad.. Your dad sounds like he is very good hands and most likely hasn't gotton an Oncologist yet.. So this is actually a good way because Oncologists are involved with deciding what treatments are working the best now and these are the treatments that they want to use..

One thing i will tell you you shouldn't do is don't look up things like this on the internet for the simple reasons as you said they are driving you crazy !! You won't find anything positive on the Internet, basically it's older info, before all the good & newer treatments that are out today.. They are BLEAK, all these sites talk about are, the staging, grading, and make Kidney Cancer seem horrible.. It used to be this way 8 yrs ago, but today people with the most Advanced Kidney Cancer are living such longer lives as my husband is today.. My husband was diagnosed Aug 1st, 2008 this Aug 1st coming my husband who has metastatic kidney Disease, in his lungs, and renal bone kidney cancer (means in his bones now) will have lived 5 years with this cancer.. In the prognoises of a 5 year life 10% of people will live that many years with this cancer with similiar diagnoses as my husband.. It all has to do with the newer Targeted Therapies that started coming out in 2007..

I am sure your dad will do well, so stay away from those gloomey internet sites and use your faith & hope and also stick with our site. These are the more positive ways to find info, new friends, who can support you and give you the most recent info on Kidney Cancer..

Take care, and feel free to write me anytime..
Hugs to you & your dad,
Beccaanne "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/16/12  7:27pm
" I agree with Beccaane...STAY AWAY FROM PROGNOSIS info on the internet. I was diagnosed right after the 1st of the year with RCC (clear cell) stage III, no metastasis anywhere . At MD Anderson, I was given an option to be the 14th to try a trial med, axitinib, a targeted therapy; shortly thereafter, it became FDA approved. This med had already proven to shrink tumors but the hope is that it also would kill any micrometastatic cancer cells in my body. I did my 12 weeks of this chemo (pill) and it sucked. Side effects, the worst was weakness. I had a hand assist laparoscopic right radical nephrectomy and im 10 days post op. I'm feeling pretty good considering. Support from friends and family mean the world to me and I pray and keep the faith and believe its never coming back. Try to stay positive. I remember when it first hit me, I felt like I had been given a death sentence and couldn't stop crying. It gradually went away as time passed. Hang in there, think positive and remember that y'all are not alone! God bless you and your dad. He is lucky to have you! :)
Julia "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/17/12  1:17am
" Thank you so very much for all of your feedback. You have already given me more hope. My dad has an appointment with an oncologist on the 25th of this month. Looking forward to that appointment as it will get things started. I know there is a long road ahead, but with support I am sure we will get through it!!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/20/12  6:22am
" There is so much support and encouragement from the wonderful people on this site. Make sure you come here with any questions. You will always get replies. Drugs and treatment are advancing.
Your dad is lucky to have you to support him.
Will keep you both in my thoughts.
Hugs "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/29/12  1:58am
" Dad saw his oncologist on Friday. They removed all of the cancer when they removed the tumor. He is officially cancer free!! :) They have told him there is a high chance of reoccurence because of how far that cancer had progressed so they are monitoring him monthly. For now though it is a reason to celebrate!! :) "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web