Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Small bruises?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hey, I've been on Coumadin for 3 or 4 weeks now and today I've noticed some very small (dime-sized) bruises on the side/back of my right thigh. Maybe some faint varicose-vein-looking discoloration if you squint, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not because it's not a body part I've spent a lot of time looking at, you know? I don't remember smacking into this area, but I've been trying to clean because my in-laws are going to come visit on Friday for a few days, so I've been crawling around on the floor and stuff. I hate to call the clinic because I just bugged them with a dumb question about whether I could take Maalox this morning. :p So, when they say to call about unexplained bruising, are they talking about big ugly bruises or little ones?

I was tested last Thursday and had a lovely INR of 2.4; they said I could go for 2 weeks with no test, so my next one isn't till the 28th.

Thanks!
Posted on 07/22/09, 02:41 pm
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Pulmonary Embolism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/22/09  2:49pm
" roubai, LOL I am usually covered in bruises. Some are dime sized some are big whoppers but the big whoppers are usually when I run into something obvious. Its amazing how easily we bruise and don't realize we have actually hit something or run into something that's going to cause that bruise. My advice is if the bruising continues and/or gets worse by all means go into the ER or your doctors office, especially if you get a massive bruise and you can't explain it away. It sounds like things are going good if your INR is nice and therapeutic at 2.4. I will add that anytime you feel uncomfortable about anything it isn't dumb to call the clinic, ER or your doctor to ask about whats on your mind. Unfortunately most doctors and nurses have no clue of the emotional roller coaster we are on. We just went through a very serious life changing event and survived it, We would really like to continue to survive. So remember no question is dumb. Continue to be your own best advocate and good luck.
HUGS
Ferr "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/22/09  2:55pm
" Thanks, Ferr, I'm still a n00b as you can tell :)
I remember when one of my professors came to class with the back of his hand practically black (and he was an elderly pale Irish-American)--I asked him what happened and he said he was on "blood-thinners" for another condition and he'd just gotten a normal bruise but it looked like that as a result. :P I guess I know what I have to look forward to, LOL. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/22/09  3:44pm
" Good advice Ferr.

I get small, pencil eraser size bruises on my arms and legs all the time. I work in an office and I think it's just from bumping my arm here and there or hitting my leg on a chair or a file cabinet. Hell, getting in and out of my car sometimes bangs me up. We aren't aware of all the hits our bodies take on a daily basis.

You will slowly start to not even notice this stuff anymore. But you gotta look out for yourself too. You will get experienced in knowing what seems normal for you and what seems weird. For now, I think it's good to question stuff.

And cheers for the good INR! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/22/09  5:25pm
" Thanks, rmb! I suppose it's just from bumping into stuff as I clean. In that case I'll probably collect a lot more before I finish... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/22/09  11:16pm
" HI all, sometimes things that I think will leave a mark don't leave a thing, and other times, I gets bruises that I have no idea where they came from. Sometimes just the dogs jumping up leave marks on my legs. The other night, my leg was itching-I had a big red area with broken blood vessels fore the next 2 days- then I just scratched my face and it left a mark in the moring. I was expecting my INR to be too high-checked it-2.0 -so I give up! So never can tell when it will happen, if it will or won't happen- a bruise is a bruise no matter if we know where it comes from or not . I guess.
Blessings, Teri "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 07/22/09  11:17pm
" I might add that when we went to Disney in June, I had a bruise on my thigh that looked like Micky Mouse! Teri "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 07/22/09  11:27pm
" When I bruise... I really bruise ! Usually means I took a crash on the mtn bike.
Took an endo the other week and landed on my shin just below my knee and the bruise ended up going all the way down to my ankle.

But I just got a nice shiny new race mtn bike. and wow is that thing fast and flows. Its like a gun...... pull the trigger and it just fires off like a bullet. Can't wait to ride it more and more. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web