Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
How long to recover from PE
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
The potted history, I had cancer in my appendix discovered by accident and removed in Jan 07, followed by 6 months of chemo. CT scan after chemo (Aug 07) showed multiple PE in both lungs, even though I was completely asymptomatic. Subsequent testing found that I have protein S deficiency so I am on life long warfarin.

By my own admission I was not the fittest person before any of this and I was and still slightly overweight (5'11" around 195lbs) I have been doing more exercise and right now I am on an 11 week ski instructor training course. On average I am skiing 4.5 hours monday to friday which I can normally handle except when we ski really hard or in heavy conditions.

What I have found is that although at the end of a hard run I am slightly out of breath, if I have to walk up slopes or fight my way out of some deep snow at higher elevations ( around 7200ft) then I really struggle to "catch my breath" and my breathing is quite hard and fast.

What I am wondering is this still because of recovering from the PE's, or because I am just not fit? or a combination of both.

thanks

Mark
Posted on 02/27/09, 04:46 pm
2 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Pulmonary Embolism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/28/09  6:49pm
" Mark: It sound like you are in great shape in spite of the PE etc. I have had DVT with bilateral PE with infarc. My Dr says there is no pat answer for how much should I do or not do. He said listen to your body and it will tell you. But he did say slowly increase your activity. Mine hit Jan 10 and I may be doing 40% of my normal activity levele. Still hurts too much, get dizzy, heaviness/pressure in the chest etc....So I'm at the point of wondering how much of this do I have to accept as normal now. Anyway, you have found a great group of people to learn from; I know I have learned a lot on this forum.. Take Care. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/01/09  1:01am
" Hi, Mark:

Based on what my doctor told me - and the posts on this support site (and thank goodness for this support site!) - it seems like recovery from PEs varies from person to person. In my case, while I returned to work two weeks after my DVT with bi-lateral PE, I still don't feel 100%, and I get winded very easily - especially if it is cold outside (I don't really know why).

A friend of mine who had the same thing happen to her didn't return to work for six weeks, and she said she didn't feel like her lungs returned to normal function until six months after everything happened.

I think it's great you are exercising! Keep up the great work. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web