Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
sensation in neck....
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I had a weird sensation (almost like stinging and/or burning) in my neck area near the carotid artery for almost three days before my pulmonary embolism. Once I got to the hospital.... the doctor's dismissed it as "nothing". Now, I'm getting this feeling again. I know it's not muscular and have called my primary care doc...
He said that if it continues or gets worse- to
go back to the ER. Did anyone else experience this symptom with leading up to their PE? I also had severe chest pain, sharp pain in left lung and pain radiating down my shoulder a few days before going to the emergency room. thanks for any input! Hope everyone is having a good day...
Posted on 07/29/08, 12:07 am
11 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Pulmonary Embolism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/29/08  8:24am
" Hey there, this is strange as i had this too, it wasn't too painful though and i always just forgot to mention it to the doctor. it was on the left side of my neck and kind felt like i'd pulled a muscle or something, and the feeling remained for about two months after my PE.

sorry, not adding advice I'm afraid, just an 'I'm with you!'

hope someone else can maybe shed some light on this one though... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/29/08  11:22am
" Oooh, I sort of had this ... the week before last I think? Definitely right next to/near the carotid - it wasn't a burning, but more like what Shyla said, a pulled muscle - but more ... "sharp." It wasn't continuous, but would sort of "stab" from time to time. It rattled my nerves since it seemed to be near the carotid ... but it only lasted a few days and was not major pain. It was definitely one of those things I was watching pretty closely, though.

Leading up to the PE, I started out with dull upper abdominal ache that developed into sharp, stabbing right chest pain, stretching around my entire right side and stabbing right shoulder blade pain (excruciating) over a 3 day period (my left side never hurt which is odd since I had multiple bilateral PE). Once I was at home, I had a upper right front shoulder stabbing pain, kind of into my lower right neck area. That kept me sleeping on many pillows for about 2 weeks total (including hospital where I slept mostly upright).

I know they say a lot of the pain afterwards is muscle strain ... but it's in places I didn't even know I had muscles (as a personal trainer, I'm sure you're laughing at this having heard it many times for giving people a good work-out, I'm sure!). In a way, I almost felt like I'd been in a car accident ... all these weird aches and pains ...

Not sure if that helps. Do take care and let us know what happens! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/29/08  6:49pm
" Hi AlexandraK,

You will have to excuse my ignorance...i am probably just about to sound really thick...

But, I'm guessing that the carotid artery in the neck is affected by a PE. Everytime I see a consultant at the hospital, they study my neck and look for any changes. As yet, I still dont know what they are looking for...i must ask actually...but i guess that highlights that this artery in the neck is affected by a PE...dont know how or why...sorry...infact I probably havent helped you out at all with telling you all of that! hope you are doing ok xxx "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/30/08  2:29am
" Thanks Shyla, Khurney and Loveheart,
I ended up going to the ER but didn't get admitted into the hospital..... I'm home tonight and it's always interesting to here a different doctor and what they have to say. It seems like every doctor has a different version of the story.

He believes strongly that my "sensation" or pain in my neck area is not from the PE, but I scored very high for an autoimmune disease (which can make us more prone to clotting with a high ANA blood test). He sent me home with a diagnosis of Lupus, but wants me to followup with a rheumotologist in the next week or so for further testing.

I met with an ER doctor at the Mayo Clinic Hospital.... he did say that some people with PE's have pain for the rest of their lives because of the tissue that has been damaged in our lungs. He also said that the pain can go away with time.... depending on how our body heals and the damage that was done. I ended up getting blood work and a chest x-ray...everything was mostly normal. I was hoping to get some type of ultrasound on my carotid arteries or MRI, but he said that it was not related to my pulmonary embolism.

I will see my primary care doctor in a few days, but now I'm still having a bit of discomfort in my neck, but a little more relaxed just from a doctor spending time with me and trying to explain the recovery process, as well as autoimmune disorders... I'll keep you posted and thanks again for your words of wisdom. I don't think I could have made it through all of this without your faithful support... THANKS! :) Lori "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/30/08  1:14pm
" Wow, Lupus? I wonder how he knew that with the ANA being high? Well, rest-assured if it turns into a definitive diagnosis I had a (step) grandmother who lived an active, happy, fulfilling and loooooong life with Lupus. Didn't slow her down one bit, actually!

Take care and keep us posted! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 06/06/09  10:11am
" I googled embolism neck this morning because all last night I had a pain in my neck. It started low and moved up toward my ear, actually affecting the ear by morning. I would liken it to a really bad ear ache but it was in my neck by my carotid. I've never had an embolism but was worried that maybe this was what I as experiencing. I've been taking pain medication and alieve all night. I would appreciate any advice that anyone has that has had that experience before the had a PE. It is very encouraging to me to see so many people that have had a PE and are healthy and doing well. I wish all of you the very best. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 06/06/09  7:23pm
" I had this after my PE, they did a sonogram of my carotid and it came back clear. The pain lasted about two week and then went away "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 06/09/12  7:14am
" I'm 8 months post PE, 2 months post warfarin, and I have a weird feeling in my neck, both sides, near the carotid arteries. Feels like someone is gently strangling me. I've had it on and off for a few months. Don't recall it before PE. Probably at its worst last night. Not a major pain, but worrying. I've had blood tests from Haemotologist, results in 6 - 8 weeks. Anyone else got anything similar recently? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 06/09/12  11:29am
" @kendall...

I had that kind of feeling right about the time I was diagnosed. Felt like I had something tightish around my throat or like I had something kind of stuck in there. In fact, at first my docs thought I was having severe sinus drainage (I've had ongoing sinus issues) and that was causing some of the breathing issues and so on.

Took a while to go away, but it did. Keep your doc in the loop, but I wouldn't panic over this one. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 06/09/12  12:45pm
" @kendall... I also had that sensation, like my throat was closing in, being strangled feeling. Sometimes hard to swallow. I'm 5 months post pe and this was last month. Lasted a few weeks. Dr. seems to think that it was anxiety related. It has since gotten better. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web