Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Plan B and Coumadin
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi ladies- (and any men in this forum as well)

Since many of us were on birth control and had to subsequently stop right after our diagnosis, how have people coped with sexual activity in terms of birth control? I know it hasn't been easy for me or for my partner, no longer being on the pill now sucks just a little more because I had the opportunity to glimpse the world of life on the pill. Also, has anyone had problems with birth control? ie; side effects, interaction w/ coumadin, condoms breaking, etc...

i had to take plan B earlier this evening, and let me tell you, i spent at least an hour on the phone with my insurance company, my pcp, my cardiologist, and a couple of pharmacists to see if taking Plan B was safe (and if it would even be effective) on coumadin. well, no one had the answer, the only answer i got was "well it doesn't look like there are any." i asked is that because of the fact there is no info out there on this? and what do you think the answer to that was? of course, no studies, no info, no idea. so i took the chance after at least with the aid of some professionals, and so far so good, though its only been an hour. i have taken Plan B in the past before, but never while being on coumadin, (by the way, this Plan B is the progestin-only pill, a double dose of a NON-estrogen pill). anyway, i guess i just wanted to get some input and see what people thought...thanks.

kate
Posted on 01/02/08, 10:48 pm
13 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Pulmonary Embolism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/03/08  8:42am
" I really dont know but my doctor told me to stay away from ALL hormones since birth control was my only risk. I dont even smoke which is when there is really supposted to be a risk with bc. I've been using condoms and every month I am relieved to get my period!LMAO.

My doctor wants me to get a copper IUD. I am going to talk to the gbyn in two weeks about it.

I too worry about it! But I dont know. Dont really have any suggestions, just the same problems. lol "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/04/08  11:19pm
" Do you have a hematologist?? I run every single thing I do by mine. I have never been on birth control cause I knew it would cause a problem for me. But, on the bright (and not so bright) side that means I have been using condoms and only condoms for years now with no problems (obviously the no problems part is the bright side, ha ha) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/05/08  7:51pm
" This is such a good topic. I had been on the pill for over 20 years and now find myself worried about birth control at the age of 43. Right now, my husband is using condoms. I donít enjoy using them. I always worry theyíre going to break or that theyíre not on right and frankly, this is not the road I thought weíd be on at this point in our lives. But if I want to stay married and not get pregnant, this is the option right now! And yeah, we did talk about my husband getting a vasectomy when I got home from the hospital. He looked like he was going to throw up. Iím thinking, dude, Iíve just been through this life threatening illness and you canít suck up a vasectomy?

Iím in the process of finding an OBGYN so I can discuss the right options for me, considering my age, the PEs and DVT, and that I donít plan on having kids. I had been seeing my GP for my bc needs and annual exams, but I donít trust that relationship at this point. She keeps pushing the IUD but I had read that women who have never had children are not the best candidates for some types. Iíd rather discuss it with someone who is in the business of womenís health issues. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/06/08  4:18pm
" Yeah thats what I meant OBGYN. I couldnt for the life of me remember what those doctors were called so I just guessed with the gbyn. Man my memory sucks! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/11/08  1:00pm
" I went to the OBGYN and found out that it is safe to be on Mirena because it not estrogen it is the other kind of hormone that doesnt have the risk of clots.

Also I dont remember who said it or where but my doctor today also told me that if I get pregnant I have to be on heparin or lovenox shots the whole pregnancy kinda sucks I was hoping since mine wasnt genetic then I wouldnt have to! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/11/08  1:42pm
" Don't believe that there isn't a risk. A low dose hormone called Prometrium which is a form of Projesterone is what I was on when I developed my clot. Both of my hematologists told me it was safe and both agreed afterwards that it is what caused it and that I could never go on any type of hormone at all ever again, even while on Coumadin. They said that even if I was on coumadin and it was protection I still had to eliminate any other risks and that if I took any type of hormone I most likely would end up with another clot. PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/11/08  1:50pm
" Didnt you say you had a clotting disorder? So couldnt that have increased your risk? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/11/08  1:51pm
" man I'm scared dont know seems so confusing but I dont want to go through this again!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/11/08  3:45pm
" hey guys, sorry for sounding dumb, but what does OBGYN stand for? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 01/11/08  4:56pm
" I'm on Mirena - both my OBGYN and Hematologist said it was ok - and I'm positive for Prothrombin 20210. I've been on it since early Nov and I've had no issues.

OBGYN stands for obstetrician/gynecologist "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web