Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Vitamin K and PT/INR numbers
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Vitamin K in our foods, mainly greens can cause our PT/INR numbers to drop.

Normal daily allowance of Vit. K is 80mcg. I decided to watch my intake keeping the Vit.K I consume between 20-40 mcg.

Foods high in Vitamin K are spinach,broccoli, etc. Here is a site with a comprehensive list of Vitamin K foods and their mcgs. I find this one very useful and keep it in a kitchen drawer.
http://www.drgourmet.com/md/warfari...

My doctor and nurse both agree if one keeps their intake of Vit. K mcgs. about the same every day then the dosage of Coumadin should stabilize.

Also there are antibiotics that will play havoc with our numbers. Levaquin is one.

I hope this will help anyone who is not familiar with this aspect of our disease.

Hugs to all,
Nan
Posted on 12/23/07, 04:27 pm
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Pulmonary Embolism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/24/07  12:54pm
" My pharmacist told me that almost all drugs, over the counter and prescription, can interact with coumadin in some way, meaning it can mess with your INR. I have low INR all the time so I always ask the pharmacist how something is going to interact. I was buying over the counter sleep aids recently and some of them interact with coumadin and some don't, but I wouldnít have known that had I not asked the pharmacist. I think we forget about all the over the counter stuff we take without even thinking. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/26/07  11:10am
" RMB,
Yes medications can interact with Coumadin. Some more than others. I am told if I add, stop or change dosage of any medication to let them know. Also not to use OTC meds before talking to the nurse. I am monitored to keep my levels between 2-3 and not below 2. Here is a site that has a feature "drug interactions" where one can list all their meds including OTC to see what reactions they have with Coumadin and other meds.
How low is your INR? My last one was 1.8 after taking antibiotics. I have to come in every week now to make sure I stabilize again on 5mg of Coumadin.
It is all so tricky but so darn important to stay above the 2.0.
Doctors differ on this level I know. A rheumatologist thinks I should be between 3.0-3.5 INR? This is recent so when he talks to my doctor things may change? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/27/07  1:28am
" My INR has been all over the place since September when I started Coumadin. It has been in the 1's for about 3 of the last 4 weeks. I went to the ER with severe dizziness and low blood pressure last week at which time my INR was 1.3. They admitted me and it took 7 days to bring my INR to a 2.0 on 15 mg of Coumadin, along with a Heparin drip. I try to be consistant about vitamin K. Once, a while ago, my INR was 6.7... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/27/07  9:24am
" Yeah, I have problems with low INR too. It hasnít been above a 2 since I was discharged from the hospital, which was just over 3 months ago. It has been everything from 1.2 to 1.8 and everything in between. The last few weeks, itís been hovering around 1.6. Iím up to 12.5mgs and 15mgs of warfarin, alternating every other day. I get tested every other week or ever week, depending on my numbers and my dosage. I get tested again on the 31st. I am going to assume itís going to be low. Then if itís not, I can be pleasantly surprised!

I used to flip out that my INR was low, but I know that even if itís low, Iím still not clotting like I had been. Iíve eliminated the likely cause of the clots (birth control pills) and I have the vena cava filter so that if I do develop DVTs again, they arenít going to go to my lungs. While they tell you the most important thing is to not vary your diet, just eat the same thing all the time, that doesnít seem to matter in my case. So, Iíve eliminated tea, most supplements, green vegetables, anything that Iíve read about that can increase clotting. Makes for a crappy diet, but what are you going to do? It took forever to get my INR up above 2 when I was in the hospital with the PE. My doc says that some people are just resistant to blood thinners. I have a booklet from my doctor that rates common foods in terms of vitamin K. It rates them whether they are low, medium and high in vitamin K. Itís a really helpful little guide and it also lists supplements and herbs that can be a problem.

Iím tentatively going off the warfarin in March. A little scary but I am really excited about it. It will be nice to not have to get tested all the time and to be able to eat normally.

Rachelle "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/02/08  8:05pm
" My drís office just gave me a really handy book called ďThe Coumadin Cookbook: A Guide to Health Meals when Taking Coumadin.Ē Itís a great reference book with recipes for folks on coumadin. The recipes take into account the amount of vitamin K and it contains facts regarding coumadin and the impact of food. While I received pretty good info regarding coumadin while I was in the hospital, this book is much more inclusive.

For instance, the amount of vitamin K in vegetables can vary depending on where they are grown. Dried herbs like parsley and oregano contain higher amounts of vitamin K than fresh versions of these herbs. Oil is a huge culprit in large amounts of vitamin K, including salad dressings, mayo, etc, and that exposure of oils to sunlight or fluorescent light destroys 85% if the vitamin K.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in ordering the book, itís published by Marsh Publishing Company. Looks like the list price is $16.95.

Rachelle "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web