Pulmonary Embolism Support Group
By far the most common form of pulmonary embolism is a thromboembolism, which occurs when a blood clot, generally a venous thrombus, becomes dislodged from its site of formation and embolizes to the arterial blood supply of one of the lungs. Symptoms may include difficulty breathing, pain during breathing, and more rarely circulatory instability and death.
deleted_user
Need some advice please, I have passed my 1 yr mark and Thank the Lord the clots in my legs are gone, I presume that the ones in my lungs are also as they were although a lot, quite small...My problem is this, my doc wants me to stay on low dose preventive Warfarin and I swing between wanting that also and wanting to be free of Warfarin, so I saw a hematologist to get a second opinion, well after me having to tell him that the clots had gone to my lungs because he hadn't read the referal, he looked at me and said get off the warfarin, your young and healthy, I cant tell you that you wont reclot but if you do then we'll put you back on it...I asked about keeping my blood thin naturally and he did not want to know, just said you dont need it and basically threw me out..see you in 6 weeks after you have had the tests...I'm like what the hell?
I know that a lot of people on here go off and keep their blood thin naturally, why wouldnt he even help me with this, he also said I should have only been on it for 3 months, yet 4 different docs said 12 mths and you know what at 6 months the clots were still there, at 12 they are gone...
I'm so confused and don't know what to do, or who to listen to, my doc knows me, I've been with him for about 16 yrs and he said low dose is the way to go to make sure I am safe, I just dont know, I just know that this is so difficult to decide...I've also started noticing irregular heart beats that scare the hell out of me, I wonder if it's the stress of all this or the warfarin?...Just feeling so frustrated and confused right now!
I know that a lot of people on here go off and keep their blood thin naturally, why wouldnt he even help me with this, he also said I should have only been on it for 3 months, yet 4 different docs said 12 mths and you know what at 6 months the clots were still there, at 12 they are gone...
I'm so confused and don't know what to do, or who to listen to, my doc knows me, I've been with him for about 16 yrs and he said low dose is the way to go to make sure I am safe, I just dont know, I just know that this is so difficult to decide...I've also started noticing irregular heart beats that scare the hell out of me, I wonder if it's the stress of all this or the warfarin?...Just feeling so frustrated and confused right now!
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
Nationalday.com proclaims September 28th as Self Aware Day. I took a few snaps of various core values lists and tried to pick my top five core values (kinda hard to only pick 5). But here are my top picks. Feel free to list a few of yours too:GodLovePeaceStability Compassion
-
Now that I am not talking to my whatever best friend, I realized that her life is full of drama. I had grown tired of hearing her stories about her boyfriend many months ago. She basically had been monopolizing conversations for that long too. She pretty much stopped asking me questions about me. I passed her in front of her classroom the other day and didn't even look at her. I am...

A couple of questions come to my mind, if you don't mind clarifying for me.
1. What do you mean by a low dose of warfarin? Would they stop targetting the 2 - 3 INR range and just keep you on a little of it? Or maybe a lower range?
2. What are the natural ways of keeping your blood thin?
Also, as I was researching clots after my diagnosis, I was thinking I had read somewhere that there was some research to show that being on a low dose of aspirin ongoing (instead of warfarin) might help prevent clots. I don't remember where I had read that, so I don't know if it is close to accurate. I'm hoping one of the more knowledgeable members here can clarify whether this is a valid option or not.
Good luck with everything!
Here's more confusion for you (sorry)
If you're looking for an absolute answer to your question (who to believe) I doubt if you're going to find it, even in the medical literature.
Even being on full dose warfarin doesn't prevent more DVTs (or PEs) but the chances are VERY high that it will prevent them---- as long as no other extenuating circumstances exist and if the person stays therapeutic.
Here is one long trial of low dose aspirin (PREVENT):
"Of the 253 patients assigned to placebo, 37 had a recurrent episode of DVT or pulmonary embolism compared to 14 of the 255 patients assigned to low-dose warfarin. This finding was the equivalent of a 64 percent reduction in risk for those treated with warfarin. Results were similar for all patients men and women and those of all ages including those with factor V Leiden and the G20210A prothrombin polymorphism, common genetic variants that increase the risk of blood clots."
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/databases/alerts/warfarin.html
As can be seen----- 14 out of 255 patients on low-dose warfarin still had reoccurence. But the article didn't say why those 14 had a reoccurence. That might show a reason why they did. If those patients developed cancer or had an operation or a fall during that time........ I'd have to read the entire study.
Too bad the PREVENT study was stopped early which leaves me wondering why it was.
Then there's this about aspirin and reoccurence of DVT/PE
"The study presented today at the annual meeting of the American Society of Hematology (WARFASA study) investigated patients with a history of unprovoked VTE. They were enrolled after they had been treated for their VTE with warfarin for 6-18 months and then randomized to aspirin or placebo. It was a double-blind study.
Patients were followed for an average of 2 years. Primary endpoints were symptomatic VTE and fatal PE. The aspirin dose used was 100 mg a day. 403 patients were enrolled, 205 of whom received aspirin, 198 placebo.
The study found that aspirin was effective in preventing some clots: recurrent VTE occurred in 11.0 % of patients treated with placebo and in 5.9 % on aspirin.
This was a 40 % risk reduction. Major bleeding and clinically relevant non-major bleeding occurred similarly in both treatment groups.
Thus, the appropriate conclusion that aspirin was safe and effective in preventing some VTEs. A few limitations of this new study need to be mentioned: It has only been presented and published as an abstract, not yet in a peer-reviewed journal; and a follow-up study needs to be done to see whether the results can be confirmed."
[Note the use of 'some']
So, I'd guess and this is only my guess----- either aspirin or low dose warfarin will be recommended by any doctor depending on almost a coin toss. (just kidding!)
There are plenty people who have done one or the other and had success. Those are testimonials only but that doesn't negate their experience.
Good luck with what your choice is----- the chances are very good for both.
By low dose, I mean they lower your INR target to 1.5 -2, I'm still at7 mgs to just sit in this range, and Cave, Thank you for all that, it does seem to me like they are all just flipping a coin and going with it, what was interesting with the hematologist, he was very dismissive of Asprin, said it was in the same bucket as fish oil, yet I have a friend who has had several DVTs and her hematologist put her on prescription fish oil, and I have read that you can't take fish oil with Warfarin because it thins the blood...so who knows..its all very conflicting advice . which I guess is why I'm so confussed, i am thinking of getting a second opinion.., at the moment its all as clear as mud in a beer bottle!
Daffnae, sorry I almost forgot your other question...Fish oil and vitamin E, also ginko something (i.ve forgotten the name sorry) and a lovely lady here also has told me of an enzyme that also has a thinning effect, my next port of call is a natropath..
Thanks for replying guys :)
Thanks again
Here's the thing. In my understanding, a lot of docs don't want to recommend herbal aids with things. They don't have the research behind them, a lot of them aren't regulated, and the doc doesn't want to set himself up for a malpractice suit by telling you they are fine and helping you with them, only to have you re-clot again. You'll have to find information on your own or talk to some sort of herbalist or holistic practitioner to get guidance with an herbal plan.
Honestly, I don't know of anyone who has gone off the thinners and kept their blood thin naturally. And why is that any better than warfarin? There's no way to monitor it and the hospital may not be able to stop the effects in case of an emergency. If it is just as effective as warfarin, IMHO, it is just as dangerous. Being herbal or "natural" doesn't change that fact. Warfarin itself (I thought) comes from a grass or clover of some time. It is actually pretty "natural" from some respects and it has the advantage of being processed in a laboratory.
Do you have a genetic clotting factor? Do you know what caused the clots in the first place? Those are things to consider before going long-term on the warfarin.
And, it doesn't sound like you clicked with this hematologist at all. I don't think another opinion would be a bad idea. Might help you. Just make sure you write down your questions and take them in. Make sure you get all your questions answered and you have the information you want.
Ultimately, no one can force you to stay on or come off warfarin. It really is up to you and your comfort level. YOU get to make this decision, so don't feel like you're getting pressured one way or another. Do some research, make sure you understand the risks either way, and go from there.
And the Hematologist proably is being rational, but would it have killed him to invest just a fraction of emotion and be a little more interested and reassuring?..I think not, however on the other hand , if I get another clot, there is a very real chance that it could be fatal and that is where I find all of this so hard to make the decision, I see this as a huge gamble amd if I happen to lose then the outcome is not that pleasant..
I just wish that you had this happen, you get better and thats it,..it would make things so much easier!
I have a GI doc whom I've been seeing for about 10 years. He's the best mix- great personality AND a kick ass doctor. He's very compassionate, except there are many times when I'll ask his opinion on something, and he'll look at me like I'm out of my mind, and tell me not to do whatever it is I'm asking, and I'll just laugh and say, well god, you don't need to holler. And then he kind of chuckles. He's just a straight shooter. I get the answer and then I don't need go deep into contemplation about it any longer. He makes it easy for me.
Also regarding aspirin, here's a link to information provided in a study referenced on Clot Connect:
http://professionalsblog.clotconnect.org/2011/12/12/aspirin-%E2%80%93-does-it-prevent-dvt-and-pe/
Here's my thing on natural anticoagulation. If it was truly effective, most people would opt for that rather then taking warfarin, right? It's simply not reliable, in my estimation. But that doesn't mean you can't take fish oil or vitamin E or whatever. Just means you shouldn't hang your hat on the efficacy of it.
And I've taken fish oil supplements before warfarin and during. And in fact, I've recently stopped taking it because I think I'm wasting my money given that I eat well enough where I shouldn't need supplementation. It may impact your INR, but then all you need to do is let your doc know you're starting it, test your INR for a couple of weeks after and see if it has an impact. If so, they'll adjust your warfarin dosage.
Regardless of your Hema being an ass, you just have to assess the information and facts that you do know. And then based on that, decide. All of this is manageable. It really is. I think there is something very liberating and freeing about having options. After my second clotting event, my hema said it was my choice whether or not to stay on warfarin but his recommendation was that I stay on it. It's just a recommendation, and it was my decision on what to do. It's my body after all.
Take a step back from all of this and put it on the back burner for a bit. Sometimes some distance and not thinking about it for a bit makes things clearer.
Was/is the question that richeal asked is about going on low-dose warfarin AFTER having completed the necessary months of warfarin for her condition------NOT going on low dose INSTEAD of full dose warfarin while in active treatment?
richeal, I guess you're the only one who can clear that up.
And richeal---- you said "if I get another clot, there is a very real chance that it could be fatal".
Well, umm, yes------- but with the knowledge that you now have I would think that you would be very attentive to any problems starting to arise and at the very least---- go to the ER and loudly announce that you've had PE's before! That should get everyone's attention.
But I don't think it would come to that-----we all stand that very slim chance. When I 'should have died' (and many others here also) was before their first PE that was totally dismissed and ignored by a numbnuts doctor ------ but we're still here. AND going on the freeway almost every day, BTW. (grin)
I guess It's hard when you have conflicting advice from the professionals..and the more I think about this the more anxious I become, so maybe taking a step back is needed..
My doc knows me and he has a few PE patients so he knows what he's doing, I thought that I would hit one year and be so happy and free, but it hasn't gone the way I thought..
In a perfect world all my worries and questions would be answered and life would go on..sigh...Is it just me and my anxiety talking or does anyone else find it confusing that some docs prescribe to Asprin, while some dismiss it entirly, some advocate low dose while others say get off and some say do what you can to keep your blood thin and then others say you'll be fine, come see me if it happens again..
I guess right now my anxious thoughts are speaking out loud, but it's so frustrating and confusing..
The biggest question i have is ..why are we more likely to clot now , just because we have had a clotting incident?,,is it like muscle memory, does your blood now remember it and throw a clot?..do I make any sense?
Noone can answer that question for me, not that it really matters, its just one of the million thoughts that goes round and round in my head :(
I think coming to grips with the fact that there may not be one right approach or that all your questions may never be answered is important in moving forward. Otherwise, we just sit and spin and spin, never moving ANYWHERE. That's a misery in itself.
*** My question was going on low dose after finishing my yr treatment ****
Thank you for clarifying that.
JSSNP----
***The literature presents a variety of arguments for how long to stay on warfarin after PE,***
Do you mean 'full dose' not LOW DOSE? And after just one PE?
My doctor had me on 6 months after first PE. Then full dose (target INR 2-3) for life. "Idiopathic".
**** just because we cannot find a clotting disorder, does not mean you don't have one,****
Bingo---- So many (myself included) get caught up in the latest information----- not realizing that medical science, as all science, keeps on evolving.