Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Bumped Head, Headaches & Warfarin
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I was just wondering about knocks to the head while on Warfarin. I recall reading a few posts where people mentioned complications with bumps to the head while on Warfarin.

Around two days ago I accidentally knocked my head getting into my car (felt SO silly), it wasnt extremely bad, but enough to make me pause for a minute or two in pain. Ever since Ive had a nagging headache that seems to be getting worse. Other than that, I am feeling generally ok.

So what do you guys think, any perspective to help me understand it all better?
Posted on 12/09/10, 01:14 am
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Pulmonary Embolism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/09/10  5:32am
" a while back i read that you brain can start to bleed, that is one of the side effects of wafherin, i am going to try and search for it again and post it for you, after reading that i am very carefull of bumping my head. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/09/10  5:40am
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/09/10  7:59am
" The problem with being on any blood thinner is bleeding. Bumping yourself anywhere can cause internal bleeding. You can bump your head and have internal bleeding or even fall and bump your side and have the same result.

I was diagnosed in July and unfortunately had to give up the sport I love, sailing, because of the risk of being bumped in the head.

If you are concerned at all, call the doctor. Have you been on warafin long? I only ask because I had headaches for about a month when I first started the drug. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/09/10  1:44pm
" Last year, the huge, extremely heavy back hatch door on my minivan broke, and fell full force on my head while I was loading groceries. I was so scared about bleeding in my brain. I called my onc, who wanted me to just monitor how I was feeling. But I am a paranoid person when it comes to this stuff, and went to the ER for a CT scan anyway. I was fine, btw, but have read that it's never certain...someone can have a huge knock to the head and be fine, others barely bump it and get a bleed. Better safe, I'd call your doctor "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/09/10  6:27pm
" Thanks for your replies, Landi that was a really interesting link you posted, it definitely makes you think. CCasey and gcpommom, I think your right, I will call my doctor today just to check. I was thinking I'd just wait it out but I guess with that we are facing and the medications we are on that might not always be the best idea. Better to get it checked and find its nothing that to wait till its too late.

Ive been on warfarin for about three weeks or so. Ive been lucky to have not had many problems keeping theraputic. My range is 2-3, Ive never fallen below 2 and only twice slightly overshot 3. Ive also wondered if the headaches are a side effect of taking Warfarin aswell.

I'll keep you posted, thanks for the replies! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/09/10  7:47pm
" I am certainly no doctor, but been on for about a year and a half, so here is what I know. Yes, brain bleed is a concern with blows to the head. However the symptoms won't always appear right away, and even if you get a CT it may show nothing when there is a blood. SIgns off the top of my head to watch out for are
"the worst headached you've ever had"
nausuea
dizziness
vertigo
extreme fatigue

Chris "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/10/10  12:01am
" i have a problem with vertigo. i fall a lot. there have been times where i know without a doubt i did not hit my head and over the course of 3-4 days i will start vomiting and off the charts head ache and i give up and go in and there has been a bleed and i am always bewildered because there has been two occasions where i knocked myself out for over ten minutes the van hatch and teaching my kids ice skating oh well kiss that one good by. anyway there is no way of knowing for sure unless you get it checked. i used to hide it from the doc because of to many cat scans and he would say better that than dead. be careful and don't take chances and if your me wear a big sign that says clutz on cuamadin. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 12/31/10  11:34am
" Finally an update, sorry for the long delay..
So I went to my doctor to check about the headaches and the bump to my head. As cjmenjou wrote, thats a good list of things to look out for. As the conversation with my doc went, doc: How is your headache now? Feeling any better?; Me: Yes impoving slightly; Doc: Then its unlikely you are bleeding in the brain.
As she told me, if you were to bleed there your symptoms would get worse and not improve. So that is something to look out for along with the usual symptoms. She of course told me that its important to be very careful with knocks to the head.
I am feeling better now, thankfully, and I hope this helps anyone else wondering about it aswell. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web