How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Medical malpractice lawsuit (A MUST read please)
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Let me tell you a little bit about my situation.
On April 15th, I fell down my deck stairs. The ambulance was called because I could not move and I was screaming in herocious pain. I was taken to the ER and they told me I broke my fibula in my right leg and SEVERELY sprained my ankle on the other leg. I had an air cast on my left ankle and I had a full length leg cast for 7 days on my broken leg. Then I went to my ortho doctor (7 days later) and he put one of those martian boots on my right leg and left the air cast on my left leg. He told me weight bearing as tolerated. I laughed at him and told him I am pretty much bed ridden because my sprained ankle was pretty bad and I could NOT put any weight on it at all because it hurts so bad and of course, I could not put any weight on the broken leg either. He said, "yeah, I understand, its a pretty bad break and sprain. That was it. I came back home and got back in bed. A week later, I woke up and had severe chest pains and SOB. I kinda just blew it off, thinking maybe my pneaumonia was back (I had had it 2 months prior). But as the day went on, the pain got worse and so did the SOB. So finally I had my neighbor rush me to the ER again. Infact, the same ER I went to by ambulance when I initially injured my legs. After a couple tests I was told I had a SEVERE saddle pulminary embolism. They said I had 3 blood clots in my broken leg and one of the clots went to my lungs and I have quite a bit of damage and I was very very lucky to be alive. One of the first things one of the ER doctors asked me was who treated me for the injured legs initially because they should put me on precautionary medicine for blood clots seeing they knew I would be totally bed ridden. I told them I came right here to this ER room!!!!! They got real quite after that and asked, "well who is your ortho doctor? They are the ones that should have talked to you about possible blod clots!!!!! I just kinda blew it off, not thinking much of it. I was admitted to Intensive Care for 6 days, then moved to Cardiac care Unit for 6 more days. A week later I was SOB again and chest was hurting, I was admitted back into the hospital at that time for 3 days. I was not on ANY medicines prior to all this PE stuff except for pain meds for my legs and now I am on 14 frickin prescriptions!!! Yep, I said 14. I am still pretty much bed/chair ridden. I can not find any energy, my chest is heavy all the time and sometimes I get severe chest pain and back pain. I have a PCP I see every 2 weeks. Get my INR checked every 2 weeks (on warfarin), I have a pulmonologist I see and 2 other doctors I have an Occupational therapist that comes into my home twice a week. I have a Physical Therapist that comes into my home 3 times a week. I have a nurse that comes into my home once a week. I cannot cook, swim in my swimming pool or take care of my lawn work or housework or laundry. I am a single parent. have a 4 year old daughter and a 5 year old son that I cannot give them what they want and need because I have NO energy. Prior to injuring my legs, I worked for the Dept. of Corrections for 17 1/2 years and ever since January I was working 60-70 hours a week. I was able to play with my kids, do all the housework, laundry, yard work, etc.... And now, last week I had a doctor almost give me a heart attack when he told me I would probably never be able to work again and that I will have to take a medical retirement!!!!! He said even if the pulmonologist gives me the clear and the PE's and DVT's are gone, I will still have issues with pain from my lungs being so damaged. My WHOLE life has changed. Why??? I came across this article online and I think it is VERY important that everyone reads this. I am not a vindictive person at all, but in all means, this Pulmonary Embolism ruined my life. I still have faith and try to remain positive because I have to, because of my kids!!! But it sounds to me like this could have been prevented!!!! In fact, it could have been prevented on everyone of us that had an injury and then was laid up for awhile and then got a PE. IT COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED IF THE EMERGENCY ROOMS AND DOCTORS DID THEIR JOBS AND EXPLAINED TO US ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF BLOOD CLOTS AND GAVE US A PRECAUTIONARY BLOOD THINNER TO PREVENT CLOTS. How many people have YOU heard that die from PE's????? PLEASE read this article online and take action. Maybe, maybe we might be able to save someones life if enough people take action!!!! Here is the article.......................................................................................................

Hospital patients are often at least partially immobilized after they undergo a medical procedure. Even a relatively small operation like a minor knee surgery can leave a person bed-ridden for a short time. When a person cannot move around regularly, there is a chance that blood clots will develop in the large veins inside their arms and legs. If these clots break loose and travel through the body, they can end up in the patient's lungs and cause serious medical complications or death. This is called a pulmonary embolism.

Many of the blood clots that people develop could easily be prevented. Unfortunately, medical professionals often do not even discuss the potential for blood clots with their patients after a procedure. Only about half of the people who are at risk for such complications are given any sort of treatment to prevent their development. As a result of this neglect, about 25,000 Americans are killed by pulmonary embolisms each year, making them the number one cause of preventable hospital deaths in the country (and in many other countries, as well).

There are a few simple treatments that can help a recovering patient avoid falling victim to a blood clot. The first and easiest preventative measure is to get up and walk around, if you are able. Simply moving around every once in a while can improve circulation and stop clotting. If walking is not an option, another method for improving circulation is wearing special compression leggings. In the situations where a person is most at risk for clots, they can be given a blood thinner that will keep things flowing smoothly. A few of the factors that can increase blood clot risk are: smoking, obesity, pregnancy, and cancer.

The medical professionals overseeing your recovery have a responsibility to make you aware of the risks you face while recovering. If you are not informed of the possibility of forming a clot and the measures you can take to prevent them, your doctor could be held liable for their negligence and any damages you have suffered. If you have been harmed, or if a loved one has suffered or died due to a preventable blood clot, you may want to consider the possibility of filing a wrongful death or medical malpractice lawsuit.
Posted on 06/23/10, 11:03 pm
3 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Pulmonary Embolism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 06/24/10  8:06am
" Hi there puterdoc!

I do know exactly how you are feeling because at the moment you're so angry and frustrated.I felt just the same when it took doctors over a year to find that I had multiple blood clots in my lungs which in turn led to my diagnosis of pulmonary hypertension.
But unfortunately we can't turn back the clock and even though I too was told that I wouldn't be able to go back to work, wouldn't be able to take a 7 hour flight to visit my son, wouldn't be able to basically get my life back - well let me convince you that you will be able to do it - I've been back at work now for 18 months without one day off sick after having 7 months off because of the PEs in 2008!!! I've travelled on 4 long flights too. Try to be kind to yourself for now and let your body heal. Hopefully your legs and your lungs will recover a great deal given time even though you can't imagine it yet.
There are lots of friends on this board who have been wrongly diagnosed and also people who for one reason or another really thought that they would never get better but honestly most of us do! Please take care - accept any help that's on offer and I truly hope to hear that things are improving for you very soon - love Sandi x "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 06/24/10  9:35am
" That is exactly what happened to me. I had two different surgeries on my knee for a torn ACL. The first surgery, recovery and physical therapy went without a hitch and I thought all was going to be fine. Being the impatient person I am, I rushed things a bit too fast and while unloading hay I retore my ACL stepping out of my brothers truck.

I then had a second surgery on November 12, 2009 and was NEVER told about blood clots for EITHER surgery. After the second surgery I was having a lot of pain and all I did was lay in bed and play on the laptop, watch tv and read. IF I had known about ablood clots I would've been up and moving even with the pain I was in. On the night of November 16/morning of the 17th I ended up in the hospital diagnosed with Blood clots. I had never even heard of them before and had no idea what they were. Maybe If I was told to move around or that there was chance of clots, maybe it could've been prevented.....I don't know. But I was never told anything about clots after either surgery, so I know your frustrations.
HUGS "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 06/25/10  12:21am
" I think it is very odd you weren't strongly warned to keep moving to avoid bloodclots. Maybe at your ages and your the quality of your general health before the embolisms made your doctors think you were at less risk for clots. I'm 59 and was warned to walk as much as possible after a surgery 7 months ago. God bless.

Janell L. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web