how likely is a second pulmonary embolism
Dr thinks my PE might have been because of knee replacement surgery on Mar 16, 2012. I had the PE on 6/26. I wonder what the chances of a second pulmonary embolism are.
Posted on 07/29/12, 09:13 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Pulmonary Embolism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 07/30/12  9:18am
" I don't know the statistics and I'm not sure statistics always tell the whole story anyway, since there are so many variables to why one clots, but I'd suspect that given they think your clots are from the surgery, and you don't have any blood clotting factors, the risks are probably low.

Do you have any other risk factors for clots? "
Reply #2 - 07/30/12  11:23am
" I think it depends on your situation. Like RMB said-what other risks do you have? I have factor V and protein c deficiency-that coupled with the fact that I had a dvt, pe, and then another clot in leg later makes me high risk. You may be lower risk due to less factors. "
Reply #3 - 07/31/12  9:52am
" I agree that it's hard to say for certain, because I think that many times a clotting event is just a perfect storm type scenario, but surgery can be a major risk, so yours would be considered a provoked clot, which means unless they have tested for an found that you have some sort of genetic disorder, your risk for another clot is low, unless you were to have surgery again, and with now having had a clot the best option would be to do prophylactic anticoagulation if you ever need surgery again. Otherwise your risk of more PE is probably not terrible but talk to your doctor about your concerns. "
Reply #4 - 07/31/12  10:11am
" The others have given pretty good advice. No one can guaranteed 'no second clot' but the chances may be low for you.

Test for other risk factors---- talk to your doctor. "
Reply #5 - 08/01/12  12:07am
" I had my PE after knee surgery. They called it a provoked clot and didn't seem too interested in looking for other reasons. I eventually saw a hematologist and he order the round of tests looking for genetic factors and found out I'm Factor V Leiden positive. I'm so glad that now instead of considering it a freak occurrence, I'll be more proactive about clot prevention in my life. "
Reply #6 - 08/01/12  9:28am
" Right. Even if they suspect it's from the surgery, it's a good idea to run genetic blood clotting tests after your course of warfarin to determine if you have a genetic disposition to a blood clot. But there are many many many patients who got blood clots solely from the surgery and have no genetic blood clotting factors. "