How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Very high hcg at 6.5 weeks (one baby w/heartbeat)
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
So I have my first OB appointment with this pregnancy on Friday but I find that it gets closer, I am just freaking myself out.

I had an ultrasound at 6.5 weeks that showed that my gestational sac was measuring about 8 weeks and my baby at 6.5 weeks. The baby had a heartbeat of 125. My hcg levels came back at 120,000+. (In my last pregnancy, my levels at the same time were in the 25,000 range).

I am certain of my conception date, so that isn't a possibility. My doctor also said there was no sign of a mole. So I am at a loss. Anyone have randomly high hcg and a large sac and everything be OK?

I should add that this is an unmedicated pregnancy and that I have a 10 month old that was my only good (and normal) embryo from an IVF cycle last year. I had 12 mature eggs, only 6 fertilized and of the 6, three were multinucleated (trisomy) and two failed to properly divide.
Posted on 04/06/11, 12:38 pm
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Pregnancy After Loss/Infertility. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/06/11  12:58pm
" My story is a little different, but share some similarities.

I had an HCG drawn at 5 weeks 2 days. It came back over 32,000. "Normal" for that gestational age should have been around 7,000 (high end). They did not repeat the hcg, but I assume since the numbers double every few days, that at 6.5 weeks, my numbers would have been close to yours if they had checked again. We are not having twins either.

My doctor did not say anything about a big sac, but I do know that our baby is measuring about a week ahead on all the ultrasounds I have had. Just like you, I am sure of my dates. We are at 12 weeks now, just had the nuchal translucency ultrasound last week, and everything looked ok. I fretted over the "high" hcg too, but I think all babies are individual. I could not find much literature about problems associated with high hcg. It sounds reassuring to me that they saw the heartbeat. Try not to worry too much. I know that is easier said than done. Hugs. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/06/11  1:38pm
" When I was pregnant with my daughter, my beta at 6 weeks was 42,000+, then 48 hours later it was 62,000+. They never mentioned anything about the sac being larger but my hCG was definitely higher than the "normal values" for 6 weeks. My doc wasn't really too concerned, and my daughter is now 20 months & healthy. My u/s was also early enough that we know there wasn't a chance of twins and I was very sure of my dates. Hope that helped, good luck & I hope everything turns out fine for you!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/06/11  1:41pm
" You know I dont know for sure but when I was pregnant with my twins my HCG levels looked just like that. Could it be that you possibily lost one twin. If they were identical it would make since for high hcgs and a bigger gestational sac. I am not sure and have no medical proof that it could be that but its something to think about? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/06/11  2:11pm
" Thanks so much everyone! My doctor definitely mentioned the possibility of there having been a twin (or still being a twin that was missed on the early u/s) but it seems so incredibly unlikely given our history of infertility that we would naturally get pregnant with not only one but two babies! It would certainly be the most calming explanation.

But in either case, I am so very comforted by all your shared stories and support. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/06/11  5:44pm
" Awaiting, how are you feeling?? With the high high HIGH HCG levels, are your symptoms more intense, like Shanny's? I know she had a really tough time!!

I thought mine were high at the beginning, but wow!! It sounds like you have a super baby!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/06/11  6:08pm
" I started with morning sickness at like 4.5 weeks, which is MUCH earlier than last time. I am just starting to feel a little better - vomiting only a couple of times a day and just nauseated throughout the rest. Definitely super tired as well.

Originally I thought it was the difference between an IVF pregnancy and a natural (since I wasn't on any progesterone supplements or anything), but now I am pretty sure it is the hormone levels. I really hope they are tappering off! Maybe I will find out Friday. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/07/11  12:11am
" About your reply of no history of twins or infertility treatments. I have PCOS and was put on clomid back in 2007. We decided that we were not finacially ready to start heavy duty fertility treatments so we stopped taking clomid. When I got pregnant with my twins it was al natural with no history of twins and NO infertility treatments. Unfortunatly I miscarried them. After that we got back on infertility treatments in 2010 but decided to take a break for the holidays and start fresh in 2011. I got pregnant on my own AGAIN in december. So it is possible! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 04/07/11  9:18am
" Hi lovely, just wanted to mention that I fell pregnant with fraternal twins, despite being told I was infertile! So although the history of fertility problems may make you think it is not likely, it sure can happen. Unfortunately we lost our son's twin (and he then came at only 25 weeks) but I managed to fall pregnant without help! :) xx "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web