How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear

Pregnancy - Teens Information

This community is dedicated to the experience of being pregnant, specifically as a teenager. Pregnant teenagers face many of the same obstetrics issues as women in their 20s and 30s. However, there are additional medical concerns for younger mothers, particularly those under 15 and those living in developing countries. For mothers between 15 and 19, age in itself is not a risk factor, but additional risks may be associated with socioeconomic factors.

Data supporting teenage pregnancy as a social issue in developed countries include lower educational levels, higher rates of poverty, and other poorer "life outcomes" in children of teenage mothers. Teenage pregnancy in developed countries is usually outside of marriage, and carries a social stigma in many communities and cultures. For these reasons, there have been many studies and campaigns which attempt to uncover the causes and limit the numbers of teenage pregnancies. In other countries and cultures, particularly in the developing world, teenage pregnancy is usually within marriage and does not involve a social stigma.

Several studies have examined the socioeconomic, medical, and psychological impact of pregnancy and parenthood in teens. Life outcomes for teenage mothers and their children vary; other factors, such as poverty or social support, may be more important than the age of the mother at the birth. Many solutions to counteract the more negative findings have been proposed. Teenage parents can use family and community support, social services and child-care support to continue their education and get higher paying jobs as they progress with their education.

Being a young mother can affect one's education. Teen mothers are more likely to drop out of high school. One study in 2001 found that women who gave birth during their teens completed secondary-level schooling 10-12% as often and pursued post-secondary education 14-29% as often as women who waited until age 30.

Young motherhood can affect employment and social class. The correlation between earlier childbearing and failure to complete high school reduces career opportunities for many young women. One study found that, in 1988, 60% of teenage mothers were impoverished at the time of giving birth. Additional research found that nearly 50% of all adolescent mothers sought social assistance within the first five years of their child's life. A study of 100 teenaged mothers in the United Kingdom found that only 11% received a salary while the remaining 89% were unemployed.

One-fourth of adolescent mothers will have a second child within 24 months of the first. Factors that determine which are more likely to have a closely-spaced repeat birth include marriage and education: the likelihood decreases with the level of education of the young woman or her parents and increases if she gets married.

There is evidence in the U.S. that with emotional and practical support - for example, good access to education and childcare - teenage mothers can catch up by the age of 30 with the average outcomes for their age group and social-economic background. In the UK, researchers have found that if you compare teenage mothers with other girls with similarly deprived social-economic profiles, bad school experiences and low educational aspirations, the difference in their respective life chances is negligible.

Early motherhood can affect the psychosocial development of the infant. The occurrence of developmental disabilities and behavioral issues is increased in children born to teen mothers. One study suggested that adolescent mothers are less likely to stimulate their infant through affectionate behaviors such as touch, smiling, and verbal communication, or to be sensitive and accepting toward his or her needs. Another found that those who had more social support were less likely to show anger toward their children or to rely upon punishment.

Poor academic performance in the children of teenage mothers has also been noted, with many of them being more likely than average to fail to graduate from secondary school, be held back a grade level, or score lower on standardized tests. Daughters born to adolescent parents are more likely to become teen mothers themselves.

Teen pregnancy and motherhood can have an influence upon younger siblings. One study found that the little sisters of teen mothers were less likely to place emphasis on the importance of education and employment and more likely to accept sexual initiation, parenthood, and marriage at younger ages; little brothers, too, were found to be more tolerant of non-marital and early births, in addition to being more susceptible to high-risk behaviors. An additional study discovered that those with an older sibling who is a teen parent often end up babysitting their nieces and nephews and that young girls placed in such a situation have an increased risk of getting pregnant themselves.

Health Blogs

When I was growing up, I didn’t know a single kid who had a peanut or tree nut (P/TN) allergy. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were the staple of every lunch box, and Toll House cookies with walnuts were a treat after school, without worry. Now, schools often ban all foods containing nuts, or any food made in a facility where nuts are ... Read More »
There is a peanut butter made with cinnamon and raisins swirled into it. It’s quite possibly the most amazing peanut butter I’ve ever eaten. I can sit and eat it with a spoon (but normally with moderation.) One night, after I let the spoon clink into the bottom of my second empty jar…I froze. “OMG, I’m pregnant”. Well, it turns out ... Read More »
There are so many things that need to go right for a pregnancy to go full-term, it’s a wonder we can reproduce at all. And when one thing doesn’t go right, it can mean a miscarriage. Sometimes it’s just “bad luck” (I hated when my doctor said that), or an egg or sperm with fractured DNA. But sometimes, a miscarriage can happen because ... Read More »

Member Photos

Advertisement

Focus On Ultrasounds

Video: Seeing Your Baby In 4D Ultrasound

Meet Pierce, before he was born, and find out how ultrasounds saved his life.

Community Advisors
Lee Trask
Infertility Blogger
teenDailyStrength
Teen Support Group Site
Eric Komoroff
Founder of Community of Unity