Lupron VS Supprelin
My daughter is 5 1/2 and is currently getting Lupron injections every 12 weeks. I've never even heard of Supprelin implant, what is the benefit of the implant? What are the side effects like? My daughter dreads the needle whenever it's time for it, and the last one gave her a lot of pain. I'm just wondering if the implant is something I should talk to her endo about.
Posted on 06/17/10, 09:25 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Precocious Puberty. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 07/21/10  9:06pm
" it is totally up to you my daughter is 4 1/2 and gets lupron every 28 days we tried the implant and her behavior was horrible, she would throw her self in the floor and hit and kick people. We started rewarding alyssa with her shots we asked her what she would want for her shots she chose reese cups, she gets one everytime she gets a shot, but ask her endo about a cream called lidocaine and prilocaine cream it numbs the spot before they give them their shots my daughter doesn't even blink when they give her shot to her "
Reply #2 - 07/22/10  10:18am
" We do use a cream on her leg, and she doesn't feel the needle. However as soon as the doctor starts to inject the meds she cries out... she certainly feels that part. Is there a drug name for the cream you use? "
Reply #3 - 07/27/10  9:07pm
" we use a cream called lidocaine and prilocaine it numbs it really well, and we reward her after her shots, i know it's misaberalbe just hang in there "
Reply #4 - 08/05/10  6:57am
" My daughter has been on the supprelin implant since she was four. It seemed pretty easy up till now. She will be seven and it seems that she is having adverse reactions such as mood swings, sleepwalking, and some discomfort in the implant area. Will be checking with doctor asap. It is helpful because you do not have to worry about injections every couple of weeks, which I find better. She is monitored by her doctor regularly. "
Reply #5 - 08/12/10  7:44pm
" Hey hun,
I do not know much about the implant so I can't give my advice there. However, I am 22 years old, and as a child I was on lupron. I hated the shot but I am healthy now, so I totally advocate for lupron. "
Reply #6 - 10/11/10  10:35pm
" I too am at the cross roads of deciding between Supprelin and Lupron. While the Supprelin sounds convenient, and the drug itself has been around for 20+ years, it's new in this form. I have visions of watching TV 20 yrs from now and seeing some law firm advertising "if your child had the Supplelin Implant and is experiencing infertility, liver disfunction, heart problems, etc, etc, etc, you could be elgible for compensation". Lupron has been around for 50 years, and the side effects certainly don't appear to be permenant. Not sure if the same could be said about Supprelin. When I mentioned to my Endo that Supprelin has been around for 20 years, in this format, it has only been around 3 years, she agreed with me. She didn't have a case of why that didn't matter. I believe I am leaning toward Lupron because of its track record, and praying we made the right choice. Good Luck to you as well. "
Reply #7 - 11/10/10  2:58pm
" Just wanted to update: My daughter will be receiving her second Lupron shot within the next two weeks. Despite my worry, the first shot went fine. Instead of the cream, Children's Hospital in Denver, CO recommends doing Ice Therapy. An ice pack is placed on her leg approxinately 10 minutes prior to the shot, and then 10 minutes after the shot. I do know the shot can be painful, and my daughter complained of buring and iching immediately after the shot. The nurse simply alternated massaged and iching her leg. They also change out the needle to a pediatric needle as Lupron generally comes with an adult sized needle. So far no side effects . I'd be happy to answer any other questions anyone may have. Good Luck! "
Reply #8 - 12/17/11  1:46pm
" I can only speak for the supprelin as my daughter only had 1 shot before moving to the implant. The doctor informed me that with monthly shots there is an imbalance of medication. The amount in her system would be high for the 1st week, then start to decline for the rest of the month. The doctor said that there can be puberty symptoms that break through during the last week. I was told that with the implant, there would be more of a consistent dose of medication given daily throughout the year. On top of that, my daughter hates needles, so the implant was definitely the best choice for her. For my part, I'm just glad I don't have to take time off of work to take her to the clinic every month. "