Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Histamine and Adrenaline???
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I found this VERY interesting article. I am thinking of doing more research. It would explain why I keep saying I feel better (for some reason) when I am taking Benadryl and why they keep prescribing Vistaril for anxiety.

Basically, this article suggests that lowering histamine levels could also help control adrenaline by preventing the body's need to release it. What do you think? I can search some medical databases. This is just a personal account.

Duh! We have NURSES here! Oh, Daisy...! ;) I gotta make a list of who the rest of them are!!! :)

http://www.goldbaum.net/balance/Wha...

What's Histamine?
Histamine is the chemical (neuro-transmitter) your body produces when you're having an allergic reaction. Although there is always some histamine in your body, a mosquito bite (for example), causes your body to release more histamine in the area of the bite, making your skin red and itchy. In extreme cases, histamine levels in someone who is allergic to a bee sting or a particular food like strawberries can be elevated so high that it causes anaphylactic shock and possibly death. Adrenaline (Epinephrine) is the only chemical that can quickly eliminate histamine in a person. So called "antihistamines" like Benadryl only work to block some of your body's histamine receptors (relieving some histamine related symptoms), they do not remove histamine. If you do go into anaphylactic shock (where your organs essentially shut down), it is essential that you are injected with adrenaline immediately to counteract the dangerously high histamine level and prevent death. My histamine level was very high but not dangerous. My body tried in vain to reduce this high level of histamine to a normal level, by releasing abnormally large quantities (spikes) of adrenaline into my blood stream. This created nervous energy and sometimes even panic attacks if the spikes were large enough. The body normally has a certain amount of adrenaline that increases and decreases slightly to balance your body's histamine level. In its attempt to reduce my histamine level, my body would essentially use up all my adrenaline (as shown by my blood test). This would leave me feeling anywhere from moderately tired to frighteningly exhausted. Its probably difficult to imagine being so drained of energy that it would actually scare you, but it happened to me frequently. My high histamine level also caused my Meniere's like symptoms, as well as difficulty thinking, focusing, and remembering things. Its possible that many people diagnosed with Meniere's Disease actually have a high histamine level and not an inner ear problem.

High histamine levels can be gradually reduced over time if the cause of the "allergic" (autoimmune) reaction can be found. In my case it was determined that I had trouble metabolizing sulfur (contained in many foods) and had an excess of a chemical called histadine which is also contained in many foods, especially breads. The sulfur and histadine in the foods I ate caused my body to produce large quantities of histamine. This isn't really an allergic reaction in the typical sense. Tomatoes, wheat, milk and citrus fruits all contain high quantities of sulfur which caused my body to produce large quantities of histamine. To reduce my histamine level, I had to eliminate these foods from my diet (see Histamine Diet). If I ate some pizza (which contains tomato (sauce), wheat (crust), and milk (cheese) ) I would usually have a panic attack two or three days later because it took that long for the whole sulfur, histadine, histamine, adrenaline reaction process to take place. I would never have associated a panic attack or dizziness attack with something I ate two or three days before.
Posted on 09/12/07, 04:03 pm
10 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/13/07  6:35pm
" I know I took Vistaril for anxiety, but it didn't seem to help...but it could have been too that I 'knew' what Vistaril was and felt it was not worthwhile for an anxiolytic. Felt it was puny, KWIM??

Hmm...I have been on Antihistamines for years and years....Zyrtec...every day for years...so, I still had anxiety on top of that.

I think this would be a weak link, IMO....

BUT, for people that have allergies, it would be a potentially beneficial addition, to complement their med regime and prevent any further spikes in adrenaline due to allergic reactions/responses.

***Good Find Brillante!!*** "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/13/07  6:42pm
" Interesting thought.... will be interested in what else you find P You should be a research librarian...ya know :P "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/14/07  1:08am
" I was thinking later...

The weak link was my initial thought in relating histamine-adrenaline-antihistamines to PTSD. I still think it may be kinda weak, but my brain is slower processing now....See below for more info...

I think the Benadryl and Vistaril are sedating antihistamines...

As to when one is exposed to allergen...histamine is released...causing allergic reactions: itchy skin, itchy nose, sneezing, red eyes, etc...and possibly leading to anaphylactic reaction.

Benadryl, or other antihistamines, can help relieve the symptoms of typical allergies, like itchy eyes, itchy nose, sneezing, etc...by blocking histamine receptors.

Many severe allergy sufferers carry an Epi Pen...Adrenaline Pen...to inject themselves to prevent anaphylactic shock if exposed to a severe allergen. This quickly ELIMINATES histamine in your body.

I know I'm restating this, but hoping to process this as I restate this.

I'd be interested to see if there is any other links to this...but if one has allergies...I definitely think this is pertinent info that needs to be addressed...

But, if one is not allergy prone to foods or environmental allergens, then it might not have much cause for concern.

But, if you DO have allergies, then yes, it may definitely have some merit...to take into account.

Does that make sense now?? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/15/07  10:53am
" Awesome info, I had no idea that diet could be a trigger in so many ways for panic and anxiety. I'll have to watch what I eat and try to track the reactions, see what my Doctors say. Hugs :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/18/07  9:20am
" Daisy - the most interesting thing I found about it was that I had mentioned another time, months ago, that I seemed to feel better when I was dosing on my Benadryl daily. I had NO idea there was REALLY something to it! :)

I get what you are saying: "If you are prone to allergies, maybe even food allergies that you are unaware of, than a histamine would be useful because the natural reaction to allergens is to produce adrenaline. By being proactive and taking an antihistamine, you can prevent the additional adrenaline flood which would aggravate anxiety or PTSD."

What do you think, Daisy, could interpretation?

Lol, Doll! I just like being of use. It's a skill and it's something I can periodically offer and, when I do, I feel less useless. You know what I mean? :-] "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/18/07  9:26am
" Ricky, oh yeah, diet has quite an impact!

I wish it could fix everything, but then it took a lot of stuff to get here, right? Still, dropping caffeine (raises heart rate), less sugar, more slow burning carbs, higher protein, fish oil, magnesium (How's that going, Doll) and (apparently) avoiding allergen foods... I know changing my diet helped and it also made it easier to be on a healthy sleep schedule, which really helps.

Add the propranolol... Now if I could just ditch some of the excess external stressors and being triggered for a bit, I think I could get the upper hand on this thing! ;) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 09/20/07  2:02pm
" Brill,
I wonder if you might have some allergies, that you may not be aware of??

Maybe that's why it worked well for you??

I don't know, I have been on my Zyrtec for years and years, so if it's working, it's been working...just not enough, I guess...NEED MORE!

Could be, if it seems to work, I don't see any harm in it, but I might take it at night, or when not doing anything active, since it can make you drowsy.

Hmm...DOES it make you drowsy?? That's a good question... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 09/20/07  8:18pm
" Lol!

I have allergies that I am quite aware of! That's why I end up taking all that Benadryl, especially in the Spring and the Fall.

I bet I have some others as well. Since my food intake is limited, no biggie. There's not enough to trigger anything. In fact, I bet when I start eating again, I'll notice anything right off the bat.

YAY! IT'S RAINING!!!! :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 09/20/07  9:04pm
" What is Meniere's disease? I have a plugged inner ear for yrs now, and sinusitus and alergies. I think there is something to what you are saying because we are sensitive people, at least I am, in that I react to everything and I know that it is important to keep stressors down snything that causes release of adrenalin I wnat to control. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 12/08/08  6:33pm
" I posted this under ptsd and fibromyalgia but it fits in here as well
" I haven't been technically diagnosed with PTSD but do show some symptoms due to some significant traumatic events in my life in the past 2 years.
I also have had symptoms of fibromyalgia. I'm a data junkie with a strong interest in behavior, health, nutrition, neurochemistry and genetics.
I have symptoms of pyroluria, one common symptom is white spots on fingernails.
all this ties together in having a genetic predisposition to have a higher than normal need for some vitamins, minerals and other nutrients.
I also have symptoms of high histamine, which can cause anxiety, depression, muscle and joint aches and pains, and more.
all this leads up to me finding a lot of relief and greater well being by adding in some specific B vitamins, minerals, free amino acids, some diet changes and a lot of self monitoring for the effects.
within a few days I started to feel better, mentally clearer, relief of body pain, better mental and physical energy, etc.
I can post some links but also suggest people check out orthomolecular medicine/healthcare, high/low histamine levels and possible links to fibromyalgia/myalgia.
it is possible that ptsd or any type of significant stress could trigger fibromyalgia as the body is depleted of needed biochemicals and nutrients. over time the immune system, ability of the body to detoxify and more.
our behavior, cognition, lifestyle, environment all can affect our biochemistry for better or worse. for me, my biochemistry seems sensitive enough that I must take good care of myself in order to feel good physically and mentally. having a high need for specific nutrients is much the same as a diabetic who needs to monitor diet, exercise etc.
all this also ties into responses to various drugs used to treat PTSD, anxiety, depression, anger, etc.
high histamine can cause high levels of brain chemicals triggering anxiety, low histamine can cause sluggishness as it triggers these brain chemicals into action.
the good news is that its not all in our heads and we're not just whining, stupid, crazy or weak. our body mind is out of balance and when we find what it takes to rebalance, we can be stable, sane, and have learned a heck of a lot about life, coping, compassion, gratitude for the good things in life and wiser in general. " "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web