Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Survivor?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Maybe I'm looking at my PTSD too negatively? I opened a thread about not feeling strong. Now I have this on my mind. But I question the word 'survivor' for people with PTSD, most specifically with sex abuse issues.

This is my thinking:
Survivor: when it is from Cancer, then the tumors are in remission and you do go back to a healthy(er) state than when the Cancer was up. But this is a physical malady you literally survive or tragically don't.

With mental injuries like PTSD the malady doesn't go into recession. Having had PTSD for 50 years, the healing feels glacially slow. I have not gotten past it, nor over it, when the lucky (or in denial) said I should have. But I will admit I am stronger than I ever imagined I would be. I'm amazed I'm still alive and functioning. I am doing pretty well considering the torture and mayhem I'm lived. Is this why I'm a survivor? Because as 51% pointed out we are resilient? I just don't want people thinking I'm a "survivor' means I'm over it and don't suffer anymore. I think it takes strength to survive PTSD. Am I a survivor because I'm still alive, with friends, and love, and spirituality, and nightmares, and chronic crisis, and general anxiety? What is the definition of a 'Survivor"?
Posted on 01/01/13, 08:42 pm
21 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #21 - 01/05/13  12:03am
" Yep, Stella's comment does say it all, dianahunt! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web