How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear

Porphyria Information

The porphyrias are inherited or acquired disorders of certain enzymes in the heme biosynthetic pathway (also called porphyrin pathway). They are broadly classified as hepatic porphyrias or erythropoietic porphyrias, based on the site of the overproduction and mainly accumulation of the porphyrins (or their chemical precursors).

The hepatic porphyrias primarily affect the nervous system, resulting in abdominal pain, vomiting, acute neuropathy, seizures, and mental disturbances, including hallucinations, depression, anxiety, and paranoia. Cardiac arrhythmias and tachycardia (fast heart rate) may develop as the autonomic nervous system is affected. Pain can be severe and can, in some cases, be both acute and chronic in nature. Constipation is frequently present, as the nervous system of the gut is affected.

The erythropoietic porphyrias primarily affect the skin, causing photosensitivity (photodermatitis), blisters, necrosis of the skin and gums, itching, and swelling, and increased hair growth on areas such as the forehead.

In some forms of porphyria, accumulated heme precursors excreted in the urine may change its color, after exposure to sunlight, to a dark reddish or dark brown color. Even a purple hue may be seen. Heme precursors may also accumulate in the teeth and fingernails, giving them a reddish appearance.

Attacks of the disease can be triggered by drugs (e.g., barbiturates, alcohol, sulfa drugs, oral contraceptives, sedatives, and certain antibiotics), other chemicals, certain foods, and exposure to the sun. Fasting can also trigger attacks.

Health Blogs

It’s easy to be cynical and say that for many Americans the 4th of July has been reduced to beer, barbecue, and fireworks. But celebrating Independence Day is an essential American tradition that can be made even more meaningful by adding a little history into our day of fun. It sounds exactly like what founding father John Adams was writing ... Read More »
This was the message I received from a member on DS with a suggestion to write this blog. How do you carry on after the death of a loved one?  I know there are people on DS who have suffered more personal grief than I and are more qualified to bring you the perspective of someone who has suffered. I bring to this ... Read More »

Obtaining family history from parents and siblings who aren't very forthcoming about their medical history can be tricky. A new tool from the Department of Health and Human Services may make filling out your family history much easier.

Whether it's risk of cancer, heart disease, thyroid disease, or adult -onset diabetes we know ... Read More »

Member Photos

Advertisement