Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Lactose Intolerant and PCOS Diets
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi ya'll!
After 2 years of battling Ovarian Cysts, i was Diagnosed with PCOS. I was put on a diet, i was looking for anything good. BUT i'm also Lactose Intolerant. So if anyone has any tips (ie. lactose free yougart??!!) Please let me know!
Posted on 02/25/09, 12:15 pm
10 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/25/09  12:53pm
" I found out that the metformin they put me on is making me lactose intolerant. I dont know why but I cant even think of milk and my stomach just ties up in knots. I really just stay away from it myself and I have been taking calcium suppliments insted. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/25/09  2:41pm
" What diet did they put you on? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/25/09  2:41pm
" What diet did they put you on? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/25/09  3:39pm
" I'm on a low Carb diet "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/02/09  5:03pm
" After dealing with PCOS for so many years, I have learned a great deal. I had to as many doctors don't even understand this syndrome.
Anyway, women with PCOS should avoid dairy. We are not able to process it as other people. Not to mention the fact that it is not healthy in general. I have switched to almond milk and it is a great alternative.
A healthy PCOS diet should center on meat, vegetables, fruit and nuts. Avoid grains & dairy, and keep salt to a minimum. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/02/09  8:03pm
" i agree with tracy. we cant process it. yougurt is ok for me sometimes because its cultured and the protein is broken down and easier to digest there isl ittle to no lactose in it as the cultures eat it during the process. the problem may lie in the sugar additives and even the type of bacteria they use commercially. there is anicdotal evidence the strain used has a tendancy to overgrow, much like a yeast infection. and cause the very symptoms it is supposed to treat.(gas and bloating are common) pretty sure its biffidus and bl regularis (thats two of its names).

Lactaid milk is also a no no cus it has both the lactose and another sugar in it.

soy is also not good for us often times people with a milk issue are either fully alergic or sensitive to soy too. turns out if youre not asian you dont have the enzymes to digest it. not to mention the kind sold in the states is usually genetically modified and chemically processed. there is other isses with soy here is one article about it. http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/

and i didnt even get into the estrogen or the copper issue with soy...

I was thinking on trying hte specific carbohydrate diet. http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle....
they even have recipes to make your own yougurt. and likely even a recipie for your own almond milk. though if i can id rather hemp milk its supposed to be even healthier. but that being said we dont really need milk there are many other ways to get calcium. milk is just easier.

as for carbs ancient grains tend to be ok ie gluten free ones. as we tend to be able to process those more efficiently. and they tend to be more alkaline and less acid forming. again we dont have the enzymes to digest things like wheat spelt and all the other glutenious grains. that being siad some people have trouble with gluten free grains such as corn millet ect as they are still acidifying to the body and again may still be hard to digest.

but ya if you have time look up copper overload, adrenal fatigue, and leaky gut syndrome. i posted about adrenal fatigue already maybe some of it seems familiar to you.

Diet has a huge part in our road to wellness. as it was a big factor in our road to disease. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 03/03/09  12:47pm
" I also found out this year that I am lactose intolerant. I have had IBS for years and no one ever said it could be dairy, but I do so much better when I avoid it! I switched to almond milk because too much soy is bad for estrogen levels and increases the hormone fluctuations. It is VERY beneficial to take a high quality probiotic/acidophilus. This has helped me tremendously.

Also, for others who have a lot of gas/bloating, take Enteric coated Peppermint Oil capsules. Very helpful! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 03/03/09  11:57pm
" You all have opened my eyes alot. Around the time my cysts were getting worse(last may) Is when i realized i was lactose intolorant. I started to drink the soy milk. and Of course my cysts were alot more frequent..
Thank you all. Again.
Addi:D "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 03/04/09  12:53am
" no problem.i hope even a little of what i have learned helps at least one person. =) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 03/05/09  7:38am
" I'm really glad to have a support group. I thought I was the only one who notice a lactose intolerance over this past year. I've started to drink Lacteze milk and it has made a difference. I had previously tried Soy products, but they only made me bloated. But since I've turned to non-dairy, my bloating has stopped and I've even dropped another size.
For yogourt, I've heard that goat's milk yogourt is low in lactose. I'm thinking of trying it... "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web