Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Alli and PCOS
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Has anyone with PCOS tried Alli to loose weight? Has anyone heard if it's safe for us to try?
Posted on 01/10/08, 09:06 pm
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/11/08  4:33pm
" from what i understand the negative side effects are caused by eating excess fats and sugars. i'm not sure how it would react with metformin though, especially if you already experience stomach issues with the metformin... my concern too with the alli is that i am ttc and i am unsure as to the effects on an unborn baby... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/11/08  4:50pm
" hey ya'll don't know about the alli while TTC. But can say my Aunt took it and had horrible side effects! She has diabetes, and takes insulin and Actos. I think i'd ask my doctor first if its okay. Good luck and let us know. God bless ;) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/11/08  7:03pm
" I have taken Alli and also take Metformin. My doc said it was okay, though she didn't think it was necessary. I never had any side effects, except during my period. It really does depend on your fat intake. I find I'm more sensitive to fat during my period, so I cut down my fat and take fewers pills that week. I found that I don't really need to take the Alli, and the Metformin helped regulate my hormones enough for me to lose weight with diet and exercise, which never worked in the past. Let me know if you need anymore help. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/11/08  7:04pm
" Forgot to add that I still take Alli when I hit a plateau. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/18/08  1:38am
" It is safe to use, I was given an RX by an MD at a weight loss clinic I used to go to, but I wouldn't bother. It gave me really bad bloating, and greasy poops, even when I was eating well. If I did happen to eat something fatty I got anal leakage. It was really disgusting, I felt like crap and it didn't increase my weight loss. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 07/19/08  2:24pm
" i used alli, though not with metformin. it did work because it basically forces you to eat right or suffer the consequences. it keeps your body from absorbing fats, so they just come out whenever they want, just like that...fat. its really gross, and if you try it DEFINITLY buy pads and new underwear cuz its impossible to control it. i lost 12lbs while on it, so it did work, and i got pregnant after i lost that weight. i say if you are desperate enuff to lose weight to use it, than check with the dr first,and go for it. good luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 07/21/08  1:35pm
" my endocrinologist wrote me a rx for the rx version of alli. but my insurance won't pay any of it. but he told me that i could take the over the alli and just work my way up to the rx doesge. idk how it will work but i do plan on taking it. he told me that the only side effect is that if you eat excessive amounts of fats you will get diarea. i hope it works thou!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 08/09/10  4:01pm
" I was told by my doctor it was ok to take Alli. I have not experienced the side effects and have lost 40 pounds since starting it. Also six months after starting alli I have start6ed having menstrual periods every other month. I am now at the weight I was when I was first diagnosed with PCOS and did not have menstrual periods at this weight before. I had not had menstrual cycles for over 15 years with out BCPs. I still have 40 more pounds to loose, but I am glad I am half way there now. Plus, my cholosterol levels have gone down as well. I had not been able to loose the weight in the past with the diet the nutritionist had given me, but combining that with the Alli has changed things. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web