Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
What causes an abnormal pap?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi! It's been a year since I was diagnosed with PCOS. I've been on 500 mg Metformin once a day for a year and started taking Yasmin bc in November. When I went in for my pap a few weeks ago, they found abnormal cells. (Not hpv or pre-cancerous, she said.) I've never had an abnormal pap. Does anyone know if this is to be expected with PCOS...I suspect I've had PCOS for nearly 17 yrs, but drs didn't know what to call it back then. I don't know what to do, my dr said she wants to see me in a year for a follow up. This seems like a long time to wait to see if everything is okay. Am I just worrying too much? Also, she put me on low dose blood pressure medicine because my bp was up even though my weight is down a little. Has anyone else had elevated bp due to Yasmin? Thanks for listening to me ramble on.
Posted on 03/18/09, 12:34 am
4 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/18/09  9:02am
" That's weird! When I had an abnormal pap it was from HPV, and I had my surgery asap to get rid of them. DO NOT WAIT! If you leave abnormal cells there they WILL turn into cancer eventually! Have the laser or like me, the cryosurgery to get rid of them!!!!!! Once they are gone they usually don't come back if you are lucky. Seriously sounds like you need a new doc, what doc in their right mind wouldn't get it you of you is beyond me. send me a message and i'll tell you all about it :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/18/09  2:07pm
" I had an abnormal pap prior to being diagnosed with PCOS. I was on birth control so I think that was keeping things in check for the time being. They told me that the abnormal pap was from HPV - which they said almost everyone (like 80% of women) have and that there is no other cause. And also they recommended that I get a colposcopy to analyze the extent of it. They did that and recommended monitoring every 6 months until it was gone. They said majority of the time it goes away on its own. 6 months later I still had a little and then another 6 months passed and I got a clean bill of health. The next year my pap was normal again.

So I'd err on the safe side and get it checked out to see how big of an area is affected - but I wouldn't jump to extremes if the doctor doesn't see cause to - since it really can go away.

Good luck! Looking back on it - I am now wondering if it had anything to do with the PCOS!? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/18/09  2:47pm
" Hey! I had a abnormal one as well. They were not sure so i went in for a biospy. The bio showed HPV stage 3 i think mine was.

My doctor wanted it out of my right away befor it got worse. I had my cervix frozen. After that my next pap was normal. I would maybe get a 2nd opinion on this. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/19/09  7:53am
" Thanks ladies for all the advice. I'm going to find a new dr. I had planned on going off bc sometime this spring to continue ttc and I'd really like to get this taken care of before ttc again.

I still wonder what else could cause abnormal cells if they've ruled out HPV. I guess it's time to do some research. :) "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web