Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) Support Group
Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is a progressive, genetic disorder of the kidneys. It occurs in humans and other organisms. PKD is characterised by the presence of multiple cysts (polycystic) in both kidneys. The disease can also damage the liver, pancreas and rarely the heart and brain.
The problem you might encounter is the word, "experimental" with your insurance company. Our country has changed. I am finding that what gets "covered" also has different meaning as well. I am finding that our choices often are now limited and often dictated by others.
I wish you well. I hope you will get the treatment that you would like for your health. Keep us posted.
Losburit,
Beware of these unproven, dangerous and very expensive treatments in China and Thailand.
In U.S. We have clinical trials for safety and affective ness. I can't take Tolvaptan because it would give me diabetes and affect my polycystic liver so says my nephrologist. They did a clinical trial in Japan on water loading for PKD and it does more harm than good. I stop trying to drink 4 liters of water now and have been drinking 2-3.
Discuss everything with your nephrologist. Have you discussed it with yours?
We want to be educated consumers.