Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
My first scraping and denervation is scheduled
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
On Sept 27th I am having my left kidney scraped (at least 100 cysts) and it will also be denerved.

Recovery time is 3 to 6 weeks.

I would appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

Man I hope this gives me some relief.

Larry
Posted on 08/29/11, 07:11 pm
14 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/29/11  8:40pm
" Oh Larry, I hope this helps you, please keep us all informed.

Lots of love,
Norma.... and I really mean that! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/29/11  9:53pm
" So will they actually open you up to scrape or will they insert a needle to drain them? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/29/11  10:04pm
" There will be 4 small holes. It will be done laparoscopically.

The fluid is collected and removed. I doubt they are drained, but I really don't know. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/29/11  10:14pm
" I think they literally rupture as many cysts as they can get to robotically and remove a part of the cyst wall so that the cyst is unable to reclose. Then they remove the fluid from the cysts as it collects in the abdomen. A drain tube is left in for a while to collect the fluid that weeps out from the cysts and the surgery.

It is supposed to be quite painful for a few days and approximately 2/3's gain some relief for 1-2 years. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/29/11  11:51pm
" thank you for the info. I read 85-90% found immediate relief and 62-67% found pain relief after 2 years.

http://www.medifocushealth.com/NK01...

So curious how this works for you as they are looking at these procedures and/or possible early transplant due to severe pain not controlled. Please keep us updated and I hope you find relief. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/30/11  7:52am
" hope it goes well and you won't be in pain after it heals.
be sure to update us because many others may benefit from your experience. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 08/30/11  4:56pm
" Where are you having the procedure? I ask because my neph says 'deroofing' cysts is a tricky surgery and you don't want just anyone doing it. He sends his patients from Florida to Brigham Women's - quite a distance - to be sure they get the best care. I hope knowing relief is coming makes the next month fly by!!
Lisa H "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 08/30/11  5:13pm
" KU Med Center
David Duchene

http://www2.kumc.edu/urology/facult... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 08/30/11  5:24pm
" That's interesting. I didn't know that urologists did the surgery. Anybody else have this procedure done? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 08/30/11  5:49pm
" I had approached another surgeon that I used for gastric bypass and my wife used for taking her gallbladder out. He is also a trauma surgeon. I asked him if when it was time, would he remove my kidneys. He told me that kidneys are the sole domain of Urologists. He said any time he is working on putting someone back together (trauma) if there is kidney work, he has to call in a urologist. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web