Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Foot Cramps/Spasms
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Re: My Mom's PKD

My mom has been experience cramps/spams in her feet at night for several years now. It comes and goes. She told me that lately, the cramping is so bad that her foot actually bends sideways (Ouch). I understand with PKD there can be muscle spasms. Has anyone else experienced this type of cramping? I've tried searching the net for info, but not having much luck. I would like to know if it's an indicator of some kind as to how her kidneys are functioning.
Posted on 08/12/11, 02:25 pm
13 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/12/11  2:46pm
" these foot cramps, spasms, charlie horses, call them what you want, are generally a symptom of electrolytes out of balance. the kidneys keep these in perfect balance when they work well. when they don't the cramps can be terribly painful.
when your mother has labwork done try to get a copy and see if her sodium, potassium, phosphorous etc. are in normal ranges.
I hope your mother speaks with her doctor about these cramps. she may have to change her diet to get relief. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/13/11  12:43pm
" I too suffer occasionally from foot/leg cramps, but, my electrolytes are all normal (they are tested every six months). Internet searches reveal nothing but "foot and leg cramping seem to occur more frequently as one ages." Oh boy, lucky us. However, I found that taking a Vitamin D pill everyday has lessened the occurrence.
Like Spiderwoman said, first stop - check the labs.
Lisa H
PS Glad to hear that you are still in good health!!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/13/11  12:46pm
" Oops. Sorry, I got my posts confused. I HOPE you are in good health! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/13/11  2:46pm
" I have had these cramps forever! The over 60 crowd seem to have the most trouble. I spend half of my nights in the bathroom with steaming hot wash cloths on the affected area. For me, it's the only solution. I've tried drinking more water during the day, stretching at night before bed, all sorts of crazy things and nothing works. They come at will and go away when they bloody well feel like it. My electrolytes are all in order, so it's not that with me. I have no clue what is causing them and the doctor's don't seem to know either. My sister that is on dialysis gets them while being dialized! Ouch and that really hurts! It seems to be a kidney related issue is about all I know. Good luck to you!

Love,
Norma... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/13/11  3:12pm
" Yeah.
I had foot and leg cramps. Mostly at night.
You can check the diet for the right balance of minerals, but for me, they only went away when I started dialysis.

Peace and Blessings!
CoachRichie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/14/11  10:54pm
" Everything you are saying makes a lot of sense. Now that my mom's creatinin is on the rise, the cramps have become more frequent and intense. Since her diagnosis, her diet has always been really good and she takes vitamine D daily. She is a big beliver in everything healthy. If it becomes any worse I will definately recommend that she call her doc to see if anything else is out of wack with her labs.

Thanks, Misty Rose "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 08/15/11  1:43pm
" From first hand experience, magnesium levels also need to be considered when looking at cramping muscles. It's part of the whole picture but often is overlooked as it's not a standard part of the renal panel and electrolytes! So if cramping is an issue (including menstrual cramping, which is probably not your mother's issue, but may be an issue for others), you may need to ask or remind the doctor to look at those levels as well. And remember, calcium and magensium work together to maximize the effectiveness of both (and should not be taken with iron or soy products, and iron should be taken with Vit C, but not be taken with soy....there are all sorts of separation issues to maximize absorption of vitamins and minerals).

For feet, there are some splints your mother may be able to use to help keep her foot stable and avoid the cramping entirely. Stretching the feet and exercising the muscles may help as well. Orthotics in the shoes may also help. All voice of experience (my problem was low magnesium and later low potassium and I've always had a problem with my arches just flattening out when I stand up so I wear shoes as slipppers and use orthotics in all my shoes (yes, even heels on those very rare occasions I wear them).

Best wishes,
Ruth "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 08/15/11  2:18pm
" just from my experience, much as we preach low sodium we should be careful not to go too low because we can also cramp up from too low sodium, especially when on dialysis.
I very often emphasize for those on dialysis who are still producing urine in normal amounts that allowing too much fluid removal, in some cases no fluid should be removed, can lead to terrible cramping. what they do in centers is to administer saline to undo the damage they do by removing too much fluid.
often it can be difficult to convince these people to not pull fluid because, as I've often said, they sometimes take a "one size fits all" approach and removing fluid is the norm.
once after a session my hands were all crampy and I sent Jim to bring me some chicken soup to bring my sodium back into balance.
remember, low sodium, not no sodium. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 08/15/11  8:33pm
" Well hello Ruth! Glad to see you back and thanks for the tip on magnesium. BTW, I've also found that when I wear flip flops too often, the cramps come on - which may not be a problem for MistRose's mom, if MB means Manitoba, brrrr!
Lisa H "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 08/24/11  8:13am
" A tea of rose hips, lemon grass, nettle, and chamomile drank throughout the day has really diminished my cramps. You get the separate ingredients in bulk at a natural foods store. Half chamomile and lemon grass and about 1/4 rose hips and 1/8 to 1/4 nettle. It's very tasty. I call it "Pond Water"
I use a big pickle jar from the wharehouse stores, throw the mix in with filtered water and set it in the sun.
Sweeten with agave or honey if you have a sweet tooth but it's quite flavorful and sweet on its own. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web