Cough and Cold Medication Safe w PKD
Hello Friends,
Recently I have come down with a TERRIBLE cough and chest cold. I have alot of green mucus that I am coughing up. I was wondering what are some good and safe over-the-counter medications that I can safely take. I have a zpack here and was going to start it today. The pharmasist suggested the Mucenix DM. I wasnt sure if that would be okay to take with pkd and hypertension. It says DO NOT combine with antidepressants (im on lexapro). The phar said it would be ok. I wanted to make sure before I took any meds. I have been taking an antibiotic for 3 days now(amox 250mg) 4 times a day, with no relief. Any insight would be appreciated.

Happy Holidays
Chasity
Posted on 12/18/09, 11:18 am
Reminder: This is a support group for Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 12/18/09  2:06pm
" Hi, mom!

I onlyuse the usual OTC medications if it reaaly gets bad.
I go for the "old fashioned" remedies.
Vicks or Halls cough drops, Vicks Vaporub, steam from a vaporizer, NO DAIRY! Hot tea. a steamy shower.

I have used Robitussin DM briefly. It haelped. (I'm on Zoloft.)

Just my 2 cents!

Peace and Blessings!
CoachRichie "
Reply #2 - 12/18/09  2:14pm
" Hello Chasity,

I've used Mucinex breifly with good results. Tea with lemon & honey help the cough and some good old fashioned chicken soup. As long as you're not taking anything too long, it's ok for a small stint.

Rest & lots of fluids. If the antibiotics don't kick in soon, call your doctor again.

Feel better soon!

Blessing!
Karen "
Reply #3 - 12/18/09  8:14pm
" Hi Chasity, Amox is an antibiotic and so is the zpack you have. Don't take both of them together. Most all cold, over the counter remedies, we can't take with kidney disease except coricidian (sp) Your pharmacist wouldn't stear you wrong, I would hope anyway, so I guess the Lexapro is ok, if your unsure, call them back and double check. Drink lots of fluids, water if you can take it. Because you are coughing up green stuff, you need to be on an antibiotic which you are. When you cough, try and get it up in your throat and spit it out, don't swallow it! Keep warm and comfortable,take deep breaths,taking only tylenol as you well know, if after another week on the antibiotic's, give your doc a call and let him know your not getting any better. Take good care, I wish you were close to me and I would make you some of my famous chicken soup that would, no doubt cure you. Take good care of yourself, do everything I have told you to do.

Lots of Love and hugs,
Gramma Norma... lol

Lots of love and hugs,
Norma... "
Reply #4 - 12/19/09  3:53am
" I have asthma myself and so most colds tend to get into my chest unfortunately. What I do for myself is to drink tons and tons of water and herbal tea.

A cold air humidifier works better than a warm air one as warm air tends to breed germs. And for sleep it's best to prop your upper body up on extra pillows. Laying flat on your back or side is not the best position for breathing.

I usually keep a box of kleenex and a garbage near by so that I can cough up the phlegm into kleenex and get rid of it into the garbage. Yucky and too much detail I know but you really need to get it out.

If you are able to rest and not do chores it gives the antibiotics a chance to actually do their job. For myself I don't notice full relief until I have finished all of my antibiotics for a few days. It is usually more of a gradual lessening of phlegm and coughing and then eventually the phlegm becomes less green as it gradually goes away. Hope you feel better soon "
Reply #5 - 12/19/09  8:05am
" Good Morning,
Thank you all so much for your caring advice, the antibiotic is starting to work and I have steared away from the Mucinex and am starting to feel a little better. Why is it that around the holiday season we tend to get sick? I think in mycase its because I focus so much on the children and trying to make sure they have a nice holiday and try to do everything. Other than myback and belly pain and bp, im pretty healty, im very fortunate to still be able to do the things with them I enjoyed so much from my childhood. One day they effort will pay off and they will pass these traditions on to their children with love and meaning as I do. I hope you all stay warm, healthy, and have someone special to spend the holiday season with. I wish I could have you all here for a big dinner and christmas celebration. You all have been more supportative and caring, then my own family about my PKD. You all have given me hope and words of wisdom beyond my imagination. You all are wonderful and just knowing you have others out there like you that care means the world. I value all advice and discussions you take the time to post, I have learned so much from all of you.
I always have you all minimized and on my mind. Thanks again for helping me get through this cold and being so thoughtful.
I love you all,
May You all Have A Happy Holiday
Love Chasity "
Reply #6 - 12/23/09  9:11am
" Please please call your doctor. Yes this forum is a great place to gather information. But the people here giving advice do not know your COMPLETE medical history.

Think about it; a simple phone call and you will get the best advice in a matter of minutes.

I am not trying to be mean here, but I know someone who listened to the advice of a friend and ended up in trouble. The friend didn't know of an underlying problem.

So please if you need advice on taking certain medications call you doctor.

God Bless