Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Duration of Pneumonia
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi there, I'm new here and still recovering from pneumonia. Just wondered how long it took or is taking others to recover from it. I feel like its taking so long. I've been sick about 10 days with this and I'm not ready to go back to work yet. I got my pneumonia from a super bacteria going around at work. I don't know if anyone else got pneumonia from it though. I did go to the emergency room because the chest pain was so bad but I didn't require hospitalization. They didn't say I had walking pneumonia but maybe thats what it is. Although I'm sure not doing much walking around. I get winded just from taking a shower. On the days I can I mean. I've discovered with pneumonia, hygiene is optional. My case probably isn't that bad. What have your experiences been like?
Thanks, and I hope you are all feeling much better these days!
Posted on 11/25/07, 11:43 pm
29 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Pneumonia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/19/08  5:49pm
" when i had it it took about a week to really see any improvement feel better :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/15/08  7:17pm
" I'm now into my seventh week and am just about getting there. These days I know my name and can walk more for more than a minute without holding on to something to keep me upright. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/02/08  4:38am
" i was admitted to the hospital last wednesday,after being sent there via 911 from my doc's office. have pneumonia in both lungs. came home monday. feel weak,exhausted. it just knocked me on my big butt!!!! my doc told me it will take at least 2 weeks to fully recover. i had to be on oxygen for the 1st several days,and,even with the oxygen,i'd get so winded just going to the john-so i can totally relate! trish "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 06/23/08  1:42am
" My pneumonia is going on 6 weeks. Not bad enough to be hospitalized, but No wonder I battle depression sometimes. I'm 51 and usually very healthy; what's hard is having to rest so much and be not be able to take care of things as before; I can relate to getting winded taking shower. I had that too. Now I can do a little more, maybe up and around for 2-3 hours, then I have to lie down and rest. The laying around helps me recover, but the length of down time gets very hard for a busy person like me and many of my friends don't understand. They say, "Your still not well yet?" I tell them I am getting better, it's just slow. I'm glad I am getting better, I just wish I knew how much longer it's going to take. I kind of feel like the little kids that keep asking their dad on a road trip, "Are we there yet?, Are we there yet? 'Are we there yet? I here some take 1 year to feel themselves. Yikes!! That's a long time. I hope it doesn't take that long for me. I guess we'll see. My daughter (23 yrs and a young mother) had it last week and because she went to the Dr. right away at my insistance, she improved right away and is well now. I on the other hand, waited too long and perhaps that is why it is taking longer. The meds are working and I know I need to be patient, drink lots of water, and rest. How long is it taking others to get well? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 06/23/08  1:14pm
" It took me about a month to fully recover and feel like myself again. It sounds like its a little different for everyone. I went back to work after 10 days but it was really a struggle at first. The resting can't be avoided with pneumonia I discovered. If I tried to push, I started to feel worse. So just hang in there and keep resting. You will feel better although it may seem like its taking too long. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 10/23/09  5:09pm
" I had six weeks offwork after I was diagnosed, I returned to very limited work hours, 2-3 hours a day two days a week, previously I was full time and after 4 weeks of this I now have pneumonia again.
Just showering exhausts me! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/08/10  3:53pm
" Mine just started out as what I thought was flu but when I started coughing up blood I had to phone for an ambulance. I was hospitalised for 2 weeks, put on a ventilator in an ICU for the first. I was told to stay in for 8 weeks and it would take about 6 months before I really felt 'normal' again. It has been 9 weeks since I got home and I generally feel ok, just get a bit of pain in my chest and winded if I walk more than 1 or 2 miles. I hope everyone here is feeling better now! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/21/10  6:59am
" I have had it for 6 weeks now. physically i feel ok but I find talking for more than 15 mins puts me out of breadth or talking when my back is leaning against something difficult. As I am a teacher and my job is mainly talking I dont know how long I will be off. If I was in an office I probably could have gone back 3 weeks ago, provided I did not have to over exert myself or talk for long periods of time. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 07/17/10  9:44pm
" I got myself to the Er 10 days ago when I had a high fever and couldn't breath. They told me I had pneumonia and sent me home with antibiotics and prednisone. I still have chest pain and walking 1 block exhausts me. I am afraid to drive as I drove myself to the hospital 10 days ago with 103 degree fever and almost had a couple of accidents. I haven't driven since. I have to though, as I need groceries and cannot walk very far. My doctor will be back on wed so we will see what's up with the x-ray. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 07/18/10  6:15pm
" I've been told it take 6 months to completely rid the pneumonia but after 6 weeks we should be able to function normally. I will have to go back to work before that so I hope this is correct. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web