Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
misdiagnosed: Pleurisy or....?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
After 5 1/2 months of severe 'pleurisy' pain attacks....I applied for SSI disability(for other condition(s)). I had appt w/SSI doctor. He implied that my pain WAS NOT due to pleurisy but to a strain/rip/tear of the muscles & tissues on/near my ribs, chest cavity wall (left side). He asked if I had overused or strained sharply my arm or that side of my body. I thought of a fall that I had 2 days before my pain attacks started and that made a lot of sense then. The doctor told me of one patient of his that was riding in the back seat of a car w/her arm stretched out the window when a large city bus drove by closely in the opposite direction. The draft wind was so strong that it pulled her arm back violently and caused her to tear the muscle away from her ribs. Evidently muscle healing takes a very long time, but can be dramatically speeded up if the arm or area affected is not used at all.
I guess that is very hard to do as I can't imagine having the use of one arm in everyday chores and life in general. I'm now trying to conciously not use my left arm as much.
In other words, I really still don't know what is wrong. I do know that I'm in EXTREME pain...having 'attacks' from 1-8 times a day. Pain in still nearly unbearable. I do somewhat of a meditation and deep/calm breathing and that seems to make them go away sooner. I still have lots of questions WHY, WHY - WHY...don't really know what I have????
Posted on 04/10/08, 12:16 pm
3 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Pleurisy. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/23/08  1:58am
" can u try heat packs "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/04/09  3:47am
" My second case was misdiagnosed. I have Reactive Airways Disease, and they mistook it for pleurisy the second time around, since RAD isn't that common "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/16/10  9:24pm
" Dont know if you have had a CTscan or not but I was misdiagnosed with having pleurisy that turned out to be pulmonary embolism (blood clots in the lungs). Im not trying to scare you but I know from my experience that the two conditions have a lot of similarities as far as the pain goes. It cant hurt to get that ruled out! "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web