Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
feeling the need to isolate
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
this morning i started feeling a strong need to isolate myself...i have been feeling the need to do this over the last week but this morning it was so very strong...

i feel like having contact with others (in person) right now is too much...it feels so strongly as a violation in some way...its too much...

right now i could care less if i ever am around people again...

i dont even know if there are words to tell how incredibly uncomfortable these feelings are...especially when others are constantly trying to keep me busy doing stuff....

the only person i feel safe to talk to right now would be my therapist....but now i don't have my insurance anymore so i can't see her...

does anyone else ever feel this way?
Posted on 10/16/10, 07:25 pm
10 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Personality Disorders. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/16/10  8:42pm
" Yes, yes, yes!! I often feel this way though the only person I want to see is my husband. I hope this feeling passes.

**HUGS** "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/19/10  10:38am
" Yeah i was dx with BPD but have always had the NEED to isolate, i can't stand being around people. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/19/10  1:48pm
" I am sorry you need to isolate yourself right now. Perhaps there is a good reason you need some alone time. But try and stay productive even is it is in a solitary setting. I try to stay productive because it keeps me from self-sabotaging into depression. I easily get bored and then feel like I have no life. So I try and do projects and stuff so I am not sitting around pondering how crappy things are. I hope you get to feeling better soon. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/19/10  2:25pm
" I feel the need to isolate ALL of the time. I don't feel comfortable around people at all. My pdoc is the only one I can really talk to. I don't have a therapist right now, but I wish I had had one all of my life...maybe life wouldn't be so difficult right now. How do you see your docs and get your meds filled with no insurance? I am going through that right now and it really sucks. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/20/10  3:01pm
" I also like to isolate lots of the time. I don't like being around people alot. I get
uncomfortable. I guess I never learned to be
social??? I hope you feel better soon.

lorM "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 10/20/10  9:41pm
" There are a lot of us like that. I don't know what to tell you. I just stay in my room mostly, like "I Am A Rock, I Am An Island," that old Simon and Garfunkle song. LOL

Some of "us" don't even consider it a problem anymore. I know it has significant costs, but at least I don't feel like I'm being attacked by a pack of wild dogs when I'm alone.

I enjoy chatting online 1-to-1 now, and that represents a big step forward for me. Do you have any idea what could be affecting you? How's your love life? Do you want help finding the user groups here on DS that are specifically for people with BPD? Here are a couple I have joined:

http://www.dailystrength.org/groups...

http://www.dailystrength.org/groups... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/21/10  6:06pm
" I used to walk. I'd walk so far from home that hours after I would be forced to stay in my isolation as I'd have to walk my way back. I was a minor so this was a little illegal and very dangerous. When I got home, I would be sleepy enough to go right to bed and be alone some more.

Whenever I feel upset now I want to run away from my house like I used to do. I feel like a restless caged mouse when I try to stay inside.

I know its really really hard not to isolate yourself. I used to do it despite the law and my mothers warnings. Even in the cold Canadian winters. I almost fell asleep outside in the snow!
I still haven't found a suitable replacement for these walks (this isolation)

I'll let you know if I do though (:
Sometimes internet friends can be a great help. Like you said, its not in person, so its still like being a lone. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 10/21/10  7:29pm
" I'm uncomfortable around people, but I like talking on the computer. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 10/24/10  3:18am
" I feel the need to isolate a lot. It just hits me really hard randomly. I got to be alone or I get extremely angry on the inside. I don't want to see or hear anyone, even online people.

I dont feel right when Im around people. Guess I am allergic to them. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 10/25/10  10:39am
" I can relate sometimes i want to be alone so bad that i want to run from everyone around me. I feel stuck and cant get out. Living with a house full of so many people it makes that need come more and more often. Its not that i dont love my family cause i do ... its just that overwhelming feeling of needing to be separate and not have to deal with pretending to be social. Feeling of having the walls closing in on me ...i just need to get away and isolate within my own mind and not let no one else in that space MY SPACE. My mind races and screams at me to calm it some how but i cant when i have to deal with people all day and be productive every minute!
Staying busy helps with making the flashbacks less but really there are those times i just need to be alone and let the flashbacks come so my mind isnt contantly trying to fight them off... its so totally exhausting!
Yes i totally know what you are feeling "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web