Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
JURY DUTY QUESTION
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I am from Canada, so maybe it's different for those in the States.
If we receive a questionnaire for Jury Duty, it isn't a summons, but just to see if your are qualified. Years ago I almost served on a jury, because I was picked for a case, but it was rescheduled, so I never served.
Now I have received another questionnaire which is sent randomly to persons and you have fill it out and mail within 5 days.
My husband has Parkinson's and I am a caregiver. Right now he can't drive and hopefully will get his license back through an assessment program, but in the meantime I have to drive him everywhere. If there are appointments then I drive him. He used to be able to get some groceries for me, or the mail or do errands, but that isn't possible right now.
I do most of the business,etc and get most of the meals. so if I were to serve on jury, it would be difficult for him.
Anyway, I filled it out and put down my employment as a caregiver to spouse with Parkinson's. I may never get called, and if I do, maybe at that point I can explain this to the judge.......so we'll see.
Has anyone out there had any experience like this? I tried calling the toll free number to ask the agents, but you can't talk to anyone personally and they just give you information that is on the website...... Modern technology sucks sometimes
Posted on 10/26/13, 03:11 pm
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Parkinson's Disease. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/26/13  4:08pm
" Here in the USA if you are a caregiver, you do not have to serve on jury duty. My wife only had to fill out the questionnaire one time and she hasn't been asked to serve on a jury again.

I, on the other hand, loved jury duty! I am a little dismayed that my PD eliminates me from the pool of prospective jurors. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/27/13  7:34am
" Thanks Silfox, I hate going to jury duty and I will let them know I have PD the next time I get a notice!!!!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/27/13  3:36pm
" Thanks for your replies. Hopefully they take the caregiver into consideration as I don't know what the future will hold for us.
Thanks again. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/27/13  10:17pm
" Lynnie, If they ask can you be fair and impartial and you say no I can not they will excuse you . I seam to get called every year for jury duty. I saw a grand jury empanel a woman who was the director of a camp for special needs kids and they made her serve.. Your hubbys doctor should be able to write you a note stating you are the sole care giver and that 24 / 7 attention is required of you for him. Good luck and good health Alex "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/28/13  11:35am
" My husband doesn't need 24/7 care, so I don't know if the doctor would write a letter. We'll see what happens anyway. thanks anyway. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web